April 26, 2014
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. - The No. 9 seeded Villanova women's tennis team was unable to pick up a victory in its final match of the season as Georgetown topped the Wildcats 4-1 Saturday in a BIG EAST consolation contest at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Courts in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
The Wildcats wrap up the season 6-18 overall and 1-6 in their first year in the restructured BIG EAST.
Samantha Schafer (River Forest, Ill.) ended the year on a high note following a triumph in her first conference championship. The freshman righty was successful during her first post-season, picking up a pair of victories over three days. From the No. 3 slot, Schafer breezed by Madeline Jaeger 6-1, 6-4 for the Wildcats only point of the afternoon.
The Hoyas collected the triumph with a doubles victory followed by wins at the one, two and four flights. Saperstein clinched the decision with a hard fought 7-5, 6-2 victory over Mikelle Mancini (Salt Lake City, Utah) at the No. 1 position.
Villanova will enjoy some time off before head coach Steve Reiniger leads offseason workouts in the summer.
Be sure to follow the teams socially on Twitter @NovaWTennis to stay up to date with the latest offseason news and stories from the Wildcats.
Below is a look at the complete results of Saturday's Consolation match:
#5 Georgetown 4, #9 Villanova 1 - April 26 - USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center - Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
Doubles (Georgetown clinches doubles point ):
1. Liselot Koenen/Victoire Saperstein (GU) def. Mikelle Mancini/Tori Smyth (VU), 8-4
2. Madeline Jaeger/Kelly Comolli (GU) leading Linley Busby/Kate Pettee (VU), 7-3
3. Sophie Panarese/Taylor Perz (GU) def. Samantha Schafer/Connor Brewer (VU) 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2 DNF
1. Victoire Saperstein (GU) def. Mikelle Mancini (VU), 7-5, 6-2
2. Kelly Comolli (GU) def. Tori Smyth (VU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Samantha Schafer (VU) def. Madeline Jaeger (GU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Sophia Barnard (GU) def. Kate Pettee (VU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Liselot Koenen (GU) vs. Linley Busby (VU), DNP
6. Madeline Foley (GU) vs. Connor Brewer (VU), DNP