April 25, 2014
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. - Following a 5-1 thrashing over No. 8 Providence in the first round of the BIG EAST Championship, the No. 9 Villanova women's tennis team was unable to keep its run going as top-seeded DePaul defeated the Wildcats 4-0 Friday morning in the Quarterfinals match on the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center courts from Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
The set back will make it a more difficult journey for Villanova to seek its first conference championship as they now have to fight its way out of the back draw. The Wildcats move to 6-17 on the year and 1-5 in conference. They will play a back draw match tomorrow at approximately 1 p.m. with the opponent yet to be determined.
DePaul advances to Saturday's semifinals versus the winner of the St. John's-Georgetown matchup with the loser likely facing the Wildcats.
The Blue Demons took an early lead following a sweep of the doubles point to begin the match.
Yesterday Connor Brewer (Richmond, Va.) showed her poise and battled back to win the first postseason match in her career. However, the freshman couldn't provide an encore performance as Rebecca Mitrea downed Brewer 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 6 slot to put DePaul up 2-0.
The match was clinched when yesterday's winner Tori Smyth (Stamford, Conn.) was knocked off by Patricia Fargas 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 2 flight.
Be sure to follow the teams socially on Twitter @NovaWTennis to stay up to date with the latest news and stories from the Wildcats.
Below is a look at the complete results of Friday's Quarterfinals match:
#1 DePaul 4, #9 Villanova 0 - April 25 - USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center - Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
Doubles (DePaul clinches doubles point ):
1. Ana Vladutu/Patricia Fargas (DPU) def. Mikelle Mancini/Tori Smyth (VU) 8-2
2. Jasmin Kling/Kelsey Lawson (DPU) def. Linley Busby/Kate Pettee (VU) 8-1
3. Zaina Sufi/Rebecca Mitrea (DPU) def. Samantha Schafer/Connor Brewer (VU) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Ana Vladutu (DPU) leading Mikelle Mancini (VU), 6-4, 2-5 (DNF)
2. Patricia Fargas (DPU) def. Tori Smyth (VU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Jasmin Kling (DPU) def. Samantha Schafer (VU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Kelsey Lawson (DPU) leading Kate Pettee (VU) 6-4, 4-1 (DNF)
5. Zaina Sufi (DPU) leading Linley Busby (VU) 6-2, 4-3 (DNF)
6. Rebecca Mitrea (DPU) def. Connor Brewer (VU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 3, 2 (1, 4, 5 DNF)