Villanova Edged at Georgetown, 4-3
April 16, 2014
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Villanova women's tennis team (4-15, 0-3 BIG EAST) was unable to get by Georgetown (10-10- 3-2 BIG EAST) as the Hoyas edged the Wildcats 4-3 Wednesday afternoon at the McDonough Outdoor Tennis Courts in Washington, D.C.
With the double series tied at 1-1, Linley Busby (Charlotte, N.C.) joined Kate Pettee (New Canaan, Conn.) to defeat Taylor Perz and Mimi Lynham, 8-6 at the No. 2 doubles flight to clinch the first point of the afternoon.
Mikelle Mancini (Salt Lake City, Utah) went back-and-forth against Victoire Saperstein to win a decisive, 6-1 third set at the No. 1 singles slot.
At the No. 5 position, Linley Busby defeated Sophie Panarese 6-1, 7-6 (5) to gives the Wildcats their third third point of the contest.
However, the Hoyas proved to be the victor by winning four of six singles matches to claim their 10th victory of the season.
The Wildcats will return to action Thursday at noon on the road at St. John's (9-8, 3-0 BIG EAST), who will be hosting the BIG EAST Championships later next week.
Be sure to follow the teams socially on Twitter @NovaWTennis to stay up to date with the breaking news and scores from the Wildcats.
Below is a look at the complete results of Wednesday's dual match:
Georgetown 4, Villanova 3 - April 16 - McDonough Outdoor Tennis Complex - Washington, D.C.
Doubles (Villanova clinched doubles point)
1. Mikelle Mancini (VU) def. Victoire Saperstein (GU); 7-5, 5-7, 6-1
2. Kelly Comolli (GU) def. Tori Smyth (VU); 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
3. Madeline Jaeger (GU) def. Samantha Schafer (VU); 7-6 (5), 6-4
4. Sophia Barnard (GU) def. Kate Pettee (VU); 6-2, 6-0
5. Linley Busby (VU) def. Sophie Panarese (GU); 6-1, 7-6 (5)
6. Liselot Koenen (GU) def. Connor Brewer (VU); 6-1, 6-1