April 13, 2013
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Despite opening the match by claiming the doubles point Villanova (6-12) lost a closely-contested match against Providence (13-5) by a final score of 5-2 on Saturday afternoon. The match started with the Wildcats scoring wins in each of the top two doubles matches, while freshman Tori Smyth (Stamford, Conn.) added another team point with a win in the No. 2 singles spot.
Smyth and junior Mikelle Mancini (Salt Lake City, Utah) made quick work of Marisela Aviles-Duron and Maria Clara Bernardez in the No. 1 doubles match and tallied an 8-0 victory. Soon after, sophomore Sydney West (Washington, D.C.) and freshman Allison Kuse (Marietta, Ga.) closed out an 8-6 win in their No. 2 doubles match against Taylor Corder and Alana Prinos to clinch the doubles point.
The match at No. 3 doubles was a close one and the duo of sophomore Kate Pettee (New Canaan, Conn.) and senior Wesleigh Donadio (Winter Park, Fla.) was edged by Hannah Zangari and Olivia Hogan by a final score of 9-8 (5).
In singles action Donadio played in the No. 6 spot and lost to Karen Ramirez by scores of 6-3 and 6-1. That was the first singles match to conclude and the Friars evened the score at 1-1. The next match to end was the No. 2 singles match however, and Smyth was a straight sets winner over Bernardez (6-0, 6-4) to put Villanova back in the lead.
Providence won the other four singles matches to come away with the team result.
PROVIDENCE 5, VILLANOVA 2
April 13, 2013
1. Mikelle Mancini/Tori Smyth (Villanova) defeated Marisela Aviles-Duron/Maria Clara Bernardez (Providence), 8-0
2. Sydney West/Allison Kuse (Villanova) defeated Taylor Corder/Alana Prinos (Providence), 8-6
3. Hannah Zangari/Olivia Hogan (Providence) defeated Kate Pettee/Wesleigh Donadio (Villanova), 9-8 (5)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Marisela Aviles-Duron (Providence) defeated Mikelle Mancini (Villanova) 6-4, 7-6 (2)
2. Tori Smyth (Villanova) defeated Maria Clara Bernardez (Providence) 6-0, 6-4
3. Alana Prinos (Providence) defeated Sydney West (Villanova) 6-4, 7-5
4. Taylor Corder (Providence) defeated Allison Kuse (Villanova) 6-4, 6-3
5. Hannah Zangari (Providence) defeated Kate Pettee (Villanova) 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Karen Ramirez (Providence) defeated Wesleigh Donadio (Villanova) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 4, 3, 1, 5