March 27, 2013
VILLANOVA, Pa. - In a home match on Wednesday afternoon Villanova (4-7) was shut out by Rutgers (10-5), 7-0. The visiting Scarlet Knights won the first two doubles matches to clinch the doubles point, while the third doubles match was tied at 7-7 and was not completed. In singles play Rutgers won all six matches, including four of the six in straight sets.
Junior Mikelle Mancini (Salt Lake City, Utah) went to a tiebreaker at No. 1 singles with Vanessa Petrini after each player won a set. Mancini took the first set of the match 7-5 and Petrini rallied with a 6-1 win in the second set to force the tiebreaker, which she won by a narrow 10-8 score.
At the No. 6 singles spot junior Anne Cognetti (Waverly, Pa.) also won her opening set. She faced Lindsay Balsamo and was a 6-4 winner in the first set before Balsamo rallied for a 4-6, 6-2, 10-0 victory.
Villanova returns to action on Thursday when it plays a road match against Bucknell.
RUTGERS 7, VILLANOVA 0
March 27, 2013
West Campus Tennis Courts
1. Vanessa Petrini/Gina Li (Rutgers) defeated Mikelle Mancini/Tori Smyth (Villanova), 8-5
2. Lindsey Kayati/Mariam Zein (Rutgers) defeated Sydney West/Allison Kuse (Villanova), 8-6
3. Satreethai Sasinin/Noor Judeh vs. Kate Pettee/Wesleigh Donadio (Villanova) - tied 7-7 (did not finish)
1. Vanessa Petrini (Rutgers) defeated Mikelle Mancini (Villanova) 5-7, 6-1, 10-8
2. Gina Li (Rutgers) defeated Tori Smyth (Villanova) 6-0, 6-0
3. Lindsey Kayati (Rutgers) defeated Sydney West (Villanova) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
4. Stefania Balasa (Rutgers) defeated Allison Kuse (Villanova) 6-1, 6-0
5. Mariam Zein (Rutgers) defeated Kate Pettee (Villanova) 6-1, 6-0
6. Lindsay Balsamo (Rutgers) defeated Anne Cognetti (Villanova) 4-6, 6-2, 10-0