March 29, 2012
HAMDEN, Conn. - Freshman Sydney West (Washington, D.C.) outlasted her opponent at third singles to score one point for Villanova (2-8) in a 6-1 loss to Quinnipiac (4-6) at the QU Outdoor Tennis Courts on Tuesday afternoon. The host Bobcats swept the three doubles matches prior to winning at five of the six singles draws.
West played against Sarah Viebrock in the No. 3 singles spot and went to a tiebreaker to earn a hard-fought victory. West took the first set, 6-2, but Viebrock won the second set by a 7-5 count to even the match at 1-1. In a back-and-forth tiebreaker West eventually came out on top by a 13-11 score to win the match.
Sophomore Mikelle Mancini (Salt Lake City, Utah) also played a good match at No. 1 singles against Rachel Cantor, with that match also resulting in a tiebreaker. Mancini took the first set from Cantor, 6-4, but eventually succumbed in the second set (6-3) and the tiebreaker (10-8). West and Mancini also faced Cantor and Viebrock at No. 1 doubles and were defeated, 8-3.
QUINNIPIAC 6, VILLANOVA 1
March 27, 2012
QU Outdoor Tennis Courts
1) Rachel Cantor/Sarah Viebrock (QU) defeated Mikelle Mancini/Sydney West (VU) 8-3
2) Jacqueline Raynor/Michelle Dassa (QU) defeated Allison Solberg/Kristin Gobberg (VU) 8-4
3) Lavinia Cristescu/Ariana Launie (QU) defeated Wesleigh Donadio/Kate Pettee (VU) 8-1
1) Rachel Cantor (QU) defeated Mikelle Mancini (VU) 4-6, 6-3, 10-8
2) Jacqueline Raynor (QU) defeated Allison Solberg (VU) 7-6 (4), 6-0
3) Sydney West (VU) defeated Sarah Viebrock (QU) 6-2, 5-7, 13-11
4) Michelle Dassa (QU) defeated Wesleigh Donadio (VU) 6-0, 6-0
5) Ariana Launie (QU) defeated Kristin Gobberg (VU) 6-1, 6-2
6) Lavinia Cristescu (QU) defeated Aurora McQuade (VU) 7-5, 7-6