Women's Tennis Edges Towson 4-3
March 29, 2006
Towson, Md. - Villanova women's tennis (8-5) won the doubles point to decide the match in a non-conference 4-3 win over Towson University (10-6) yesterday afternoon.
The Wildcats won the first three singles matches in straight sets. Senior Candice Carlin (Moorestown, N.J.) defeated Bogumila Patzer 6-3, 6-3. Junior Leighann Reilly (Voorhees, N.J.) won 6-3, 6-4 over Eva Otanke, and freshman Jaclyn Williamson (Unionville, Pa.) earned a 6-2, 6-4 decision from the Tigers' Evelyn Izaguirre.
But Towson won the bottom three singles matches to tie the overall match score at three apiece. Villanova nearly won the match on the strength of its singles wins, but a rally by senior Lindsay Puchyr (Allentown, Pa.) against Amanda Scatuorchio fell short.
Villanova's doubles teams came through for the Wildcats, taking the nos.1 and 2 matches 8-5 and 8-2 to win the doubles point.
1. Carlin (V) def. Patzer (T) 6-3, 6-3
2. Reilly (V) def. Otanke (T) 6-3, 6-4
3. Williamson (V) def. Izaguirre (T) 6-2, 6-4
4. Woolfolk (T) def. Phillis (V) 6-0, 6-0
5. Parsons (T) def. Lostritto (V) 7-5, 6-4
6. Scatuorchio (T) def. Puchyr (V) 4-6, 6-3, 10-4
1. Carlin/A. Reed (V) def. Otanke/Parsons (T) 8-5
2. Williamson/Reilly (V) def. Patzter/Izaguirre (T) 8-2
3. Woolfolk/Scatuorchio (T) def. Puchyr/Phillis (V) 8-5