March 23, 2014
VILLANOVA, Pa. - The Villanova women's tennis team (3-7) fell in its second home match of the season as city rival Temple (5-9) topped the Wildcats, 7-0, Sunday afternoon at the Villanova Tennis Complex.
For the first time this year, Villanova was shutout against its opponent, which dropped its record to 3-7.
The Owls scored an early lead after winning a pair of doubles matches at the No. 1 and No. 3 slots.
Temple clinched its fifth victory when Jordan Batey defeated Linley Busby (Charlotte, N.C.), 6-1, 7-5, at the No. 3 position.
The Wildcats will return to the courts when it hosts Bucknell (2-4) Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. at the Villanova Tennis Complex.
Below is a look at the complete results of Sunday's dual match:
Temple 7, Villanova 0 - Mar. 23 - Villanova Tennis Complex - Villanova, Pa.
Doubles (Temple clinched doubles point):
1. Rebecca Breland & Dina Karina (TU) def. Mikelle Mancini & Linley Busby (VU), 8-0
2. Kate Pettee & Samantha Schafer (VU) DNF vs. Yana Mavrina & Anais Nussaume (TU), 6-5
3. Alicia Doms & Minami Okajima (TU) def. Hayley Sanzone & Connor Brewer (VU), 8-6
1. Alicia Doms (TU) def. Mikelle Mancini (VU), 6-0,6-3
2. Yana Mavrina (TU) def. Samantha Schafer (VU), 4-6,6-1,1-0
3. Jordan Batey (TU) def. Linley Busby (VU), 6-1,7-5
4. Karina (TU) def. Connor Brewer (VU), 6-0,6-3
5. Anais Nussaume (TU) def. Kate Pettee (VU), 8-2
6. Mariana Bedon (TU) def. Anne Cognetti (VU), 8-0