March 16, 2014
WILMINGTON, Del. - In a rescheduled match from earlier in Feb., the Villanova women's tennis team rallied back to earn its third win of the season, topping Delaware, 4-3, Sunday afternoon at the DuPont Country Club in Wilmington, Del.
The Blue Hens jumped out to an early lead after clinching the doubles point with back-to-back victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 slots. The match in the final doubles contest was suspended with Samantha Schafer (River Forest, Ill.) and Kate Pettee (New Canaan, Conn.) winning 6-5 over Danea Jonkic' and Kim Milla.
With the match tied at 3-3 and only the No. 6 contest in action, Hayley Sanzone (Redding, Conn.) edged Christina Harrington, 7-5, 3-2, to secure the victory for the Wildcats.
Mikelle Mancini (Salt Lake City, Utah) improved to 7-1 at the No. 1 singles position after storming back from a first set defeat to slip by Jonkic,' 3-6, 6-3, 10-5. At the No. 2 slot, Schafer knocked off Dorothy Safron, 6-4, 1-6, 10-7, for Villanova's third point of the afternoon.
Pettee picked up her second consecutive victory at the No. 5 position in dominating fashion. The junior dominated Kim Milla, 6-0, 6-2.
Villanova will return home when it hosts Seton Hall (8-5) Friday at 2:30 p.m. for its first conference match of the season.
Below is a look at the complete results of Sunday's dual match:
Villanova 4, Delaware 3 - Mar. 16 - DuPont Country Club - Wilmington, Del.
Doubles (Delaware clinched doubles point):
1. Dorothy Safron/Carmen Lai (UD) def. Mikelle Mancini/Tori Smyth (VU), 8-5
2. Nataliya Naumova/Olivia Heim (UD) def. Connor Brewer/Linley Busby (VU), 8-6
3. Danea Jonjic'/Kim Milla (UD) DNF Samantha Schafer/Kate Pettee (VU), 5-6
1. Mikelle Mancini (VU) def. Danea Jonjic' (UD), 3-6, 6-3, 10-5
2. Samantha Schafer (VU) def. Dorothy Safron (UD), 6-4, 1-6, 10-7
3. Nataliya Naumova (UD) def. Linley Busby (VU), 6-0, 6-4
4. Olivia Heim (UD) def. Connor Brewer (VU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Kate Pettee (VU) def. Kim Milla (UD), 6-0, 6-2
6. Hayley Sanzone (VU) def. Christina Harrington (UD), 7-5, 3-2