March 15, 2014
BETHLEHEM, Pa. - In a tightly contested battle, the Villanova women's tennis team falls to 2-5 on the season after Lehigh edged the Wildcats, 4-3, Saturday afternoon at the Lewis Tennis Center in Bethlehem, Pa.
After a 1-1 split in the first two doubles matches, Jenai Bilimoria teamed with Abby Farrell and knocked off Linley Busby and Connor Brewer 8-7, (8-6) in a back-and-forth contest to clinch the Mountain Hawks first point.
In the closest singles match, Kamie Campisi defeated Connor Brewer 6-1, 6-7 (5), 6-2 at the No. 5 slot to secure Lehigh's third win of the season.
At the No. 1 position, Mikelle Mancini edged Jenai Bilimora 6-2, 1-6, 7-6 (4) at the No. 1 position for her sixth win of the year.
Linley Busby beat Jess Graham 6-4, 6-4 at the No. 4 spot to give Villanova its second point of the match.
Kate Pettee breezed by Ali Kaminetsky 6-1, 6-2 for a victory at the No. 6 position.
The Wildcats return to action Sunday against Delaware at 2:45 p.m. at the DuPont Country Club in Wilmington, Del.
Be sure to follow the teams socially on Twitter @NovaWTennis to stay up to date with the breaking news and scores from the Wildcats.
Below is a look at the complete results of Saturday's dual match:
Lehigh 4, Villanova 3 - Mar. 15 - Lewis Tennis Center - BETHLEHEM, Pa.
Doubles (Lehigh clinched doubles point)
1. Mancini/Smyth (VU) def. Hampshire/Cruz (LU) 8-5
2. Bilimoria/Farrell (LU) def. Busby/Brewer (VU) 8-7 (8-6)
3. Graham/Campisi (LU) def. Schafer/Pettee (VU) 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Mikelle Mancini (VU) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-2, 1-6, 7-6 (4)
2. Cassidy Cruz (LU) def. Samantha Schafer (VU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Abby Farrell (LU) def. Tori Smyth (VU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Linley Busby (VU) def. Jess Graham (LU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Jamie Campisi (LU) def. Connor Brewer (VU) 6-1, 6-7 (5), 6-2
6. Kate Pettee (VU) def. Ali Kaminetsky (LU) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4, 1, 5, 6