March 8, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - On a beautiful sunny afternoon in San Diego, Calif. the Villanova women's tennis team dropped its first match during its spring break trip to the west coast as Point Loma Nazarene squeaked by the Wildcats 5-4 at the PLNU Tennis Courts.
Villanova jumped out to a 2-1 advantage following the conclusion of doubles play after the team took victories at the No. 1 and 3 slots to begin the match.
The No. 31 Division III Sea Lions rallied back during singles action and picked up victories at the No. 2, 4, 5 and 6 positions to take their sixth match of the year.
Kate Pettee teamed with Samantha Schaefer to knock-off Sharon Reibstein and Kaitlyn Murray 8-6 at the No. 3 spot to earn the Wildcats their first point of the day.
Mikelle Mancini improved to 5-1 overall after defeating Maika Adair 6-0, 3-6, 6-4 at the No. 1 position.
Tori Smyth continued her success with a 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 win at the No. 3 spot to assure Villanova its fourth point of the match.
The Wildcats will return to the courts Wed. (March 12) against Rider (0-11) in Lawrenceville, N.J.
Below is a look at the complete results of Saturday's duel match:
Point Loma 5, Villanova 4 - Mar. 8 - PLNU Tennis Courts - San Diego, Calif.
1. Mancini, Mikelle/Smyth, Tori (VU) def. von Koch, Regina/Penner, Hope (PLNU) 9-8
2. Ramage, Hillary/Adair, Maika (PLNU) def. Busby, Linley/Brewer, Connor (VU) 8-6
3. Pettee, Kate/Schaefer, Samantha (VU) def. Reibstein, Sharon/Murray, Kaitlyn (PLNU) 8-6
1. Mancini, Mikelle (VU) def. Adair, Maika (PLNU) 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
2. von Koch, Regina (PLNU) def. Schaefer, Samantha (VU) 3-6, 6-4, 7-6
3. Smyth, Tori (VU) def. Penner, Hope (PLNU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
4. Ramage, Hillary (PLNU) def. Busby, Linley (VU) 3-6, 7-6, 6-4
5. Mountain, Kirsty (PLNU) def. Brewer, Connor (VU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Murray, Kaitlyn (PLNU) def. Pettee, Kate (VU) 7-6, 4-6, 6-2
Point Loma 6-7; National ranking #31; Regional ranking #8