NEWPORT BEACH, Calif.-- Villanova Women's Tennis (2-5) continued to compete in California this week as they took on Concordia (5-3) on Tuesday afternoon. The Wildcats captured the victory against the Eagles, 7-2.
In singles, Claudia Althans captured the first win for the Wildcats in No. 2 spot as she beat her opponent, 6-1, 6-2. Victoria Martinez competed in the No. 3 spot where she won her match, 2-6,6-4,6-4. In the No. 5 spot, Carina Burdick defeated Concordia's Ghada Al-Ajeely, 6-0, 6-2. Rounding out singles play in the No. 6 spot and needing a victory to clinch the singles point, Alexandra Krogius was able to capture the victory, 2-6,6-2, 6-2.
All three doubles teams came up with victories on Tuesday. In the No. 1 spot, Lindsay Evans and Martinez defeated Concordia's Kuprina/Schuster 8-3. Next, Lexi DuNucci and Kaylan Rotman were able to edge out their opponents as they on the No. 2 spot for Villanova, 8-6. Althans and Paulina Bajet clinched the match for the Wildcats as they topped Glick/Diefenbach, 8-3.
Villanova will be back in action on Saturday, Mar. 10 as they take on Christopher Newport (Calif.).
Villanova 7, Concordia, Irvine 2
- Anastasiia Kuprina (CUI) def. DeNucci (VU) 7-6, 6-3
- Althans (VU) def. Ghazal Pakbaten (CUI) 6-1, 6-2
- Johanna Keeline (CUI) def. Evans (VU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Martinez (VU) def. Samantha Schuster (CUI) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
- Burdick (VU) def. Ghada Al-Ajeely (CUI) 6-0, 6-2
- Krogius (VU) def. Kathrine Jensen (CUI) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
- Evans/Martinez (VU) def. Anastasiia Kuprina/Samantha Schuster (CUI) 8-3
- DeNucci/Rotman (VU) def. Johanna Keeline/Ghazal Pakbaten (CUI) 8-6
- Althans/Bajet (VU) def. Ashley Glick/Haley Diefenbach (CUI) 8-3