IRVINE, Calif.— Villanova women’s tennis continued play in California on Sunday as they traveled to Irvine, Calif to take on UC Irvine. After a hard-fought battle, the Wildcats came up short, 5-2.
In singles, Claudia Althans continued her strong freshman campaign as she won her singles match in the No. 2 spot. Also, picking up a win in singles on Sunday was Carina Burdick in the No. 5 spot who won in three sets. Lexi DeNucci competed in the No. 1 spot for the Wildcats who also took her opponent to three sets but was unable to come up with the victory.
Villanova will remain in California as their next match will take place in Riverside, Calif where they will take on UC Riverside. Action is slated to begin at 4:30 p.m. ET.
UC Irvine 5, Villanova 2
- Stephanie Hazell (UCI) def. DeNucci (VIS) 7-5, 5-7, 10-8
- Althans (VIS) def. Stephanie Nguyen (UCI) 3-6, 6-4, 10-8
- Vivien Dvali (UCI) def. Evans (VIS) 6-4, 6-1
- Yulin Chen (UCI) def. Martinez (VIS) 6-3, 6-0
- Burdick (VIS) def. Flora Amiri (UCI) 0-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Arianna Tilbury (UCI) def. Krogius (VIS) 6-4, 6-4
- Vivien Dvali/Stephanie Hazell (UCI) def. Martinez/Evans (VIS) 6-2
- Rotman/DeNucci (VIS) def. Flora Amiri/Yulin Chen (UCI) 6-3
- Stephanie Nguyen/Arianna Tilbury (UCI) def. Althans/Bajet (VIS) 7-5
UC Irvine 6-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,4,5,6,1,2)