ANNAPOLIS, Md.—The Villanova Women’s Tennis squad was action today in Annapolis, Md. They faced off against Navy where the Wildcats came up short, 5-2.
Doubles partners of Paulina Bajet and Claudia Althans were able to capture a win at the No. 3 spot, 6-3. Lindsay Evans and Victoria Martinez dropped their match at the No. 2 spot as Lexi DeNucci and Kaylan Rotman were edged by Navy in the No. 3 spot.
In singles, Althans captured the first win for Villanova as she defeated her opponent in the No. 3 spot, 6-4 and 6-3. Carina Burdick also won her match in the No. 6 spot where she swept her opponent in the first set and won the second 6-4. DeNucci in the No. 1 spot dropped her match as Evans in the No. 2 also was defeated by Navy. In the No. 4 spot, Alexandra Krogius had a hard-fought match but dropped the match. Martinez in the No. 5 spot took her opponent to a third set but eventually came up short for the Wildcats.
Next up for the Wildcats is a trip to Philadelphia, Pa. on Feb. 17 where they will face Drexel.
Navy 5, Villanova 2
- Catalina Rico / Amanda Cyr (Navy) def. Lindsey Evans / Victoria Martinez (Villanova), 6-2
- Aimee Dervishian / Danika Kahatapitiya (Navy) def. Lexi DeNucci / Kaylan Rotman (Villanova), 6-2
- Paulina Bajet / Claudia Althans (Villanova) def. Isabel Balsavage / Tina Li (Navy), 6-3
Order of finish: 1,2,3
- Kaylah Hodge (Navy) def. Lexi DeNucci (Villanova), 6-4, 6-4
- Amanda Cyr (Navy) def. Lindsey Evans (Villanova), 6-2, 6-0
- Claudia Althans (Villanova) def. Brooke Bogdanovich (Navy), 6-4, 6-3
- Aimee Dervishian (Navy) def. Alexandra Krogus (Villanova), 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
- Miranda Deng (Navy) def. Victoria Martinez (Villanova), 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
- Carina Burdick (Villanova) def. Meghan O'Malley (Navy), 6-0, 6-4
Order of finish: 2,6,1,3,4,5