Feb. 4, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Junior Mikelle Mancini (Salt Lake City, Utah) and freshman Tori Smyth (Stamford, Conn.) teamed up for a win at No. 1 doubles and they each won their individual singles matches despite a 5-2 loss for Villanova (0-1) at Navy (3-3) at the Brigade Sports Complex on Saturday morning. Mancini won at the No. 1 singles spot and Smyth won her No. 2 singles match as the Wildcats opened up their spring season.
In doubles play Mancini and Smyth scored a comfortable 8-2 victory against Emani Decquir and Erin Snook. That match was the second of the three doubles matches to conclude and the teams split those two matches, but the Midshipwomen claimed the doubles point with a narrow 8-6 decision at the No. 2 spot.
Mancini rallied for the win in singles action and held off Stefanie Ton in three sets. After dropping the opening set, 6-4, Mancini came back in the second set (6-2) to tie the match and then went on to a 10-7 win in the third set tiebreaker. Smyth cruised past Sam Droop at No. 2 singles by scores of 6-3 and 6-2.
Villanova next plays on February 22 when it takes on California (Pa.) at 4 p.m.
NAVY 5, VILLANOVA 2
February 2, 2013
Brigade Sports Complex (Annapolis, Md.)
1. Mikelle Mancini/Tori Smyth (Villanova) defeated Emani Decquir/Erin Snook (Navy), 8-2
2. Logan Antill/Darien Sears (Navy) defeated Allison Kuse/Sydney West (Villanova), 8-6
3. Mikaela Carlson/Tracy Thorsell (Navy) defeated Anne Cognetti/Wesleigh Donadio (Villanova), 8-0
Order of Finish: 3-1-2
1. Mikelle Mancini (Villanova) defeated Stefanie Ton (Navy) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Tori Smyth (Villanova) defeated Sam Droop (Navy) 6-3, 6-2
3. Noelle Kaufmann (Navy) defeated Sydney West (Villanova) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-4)
4. Katie Porter (Navy) defeated Allison Kuse (Villanova) 6-3, 6-2
5. Vivian Chau (Navy) defeated Wesleigh Donadio (Villanova) 6-1, 6-0
6. Cassandra Fisbeck (Navy) defeated Anne Cognetti (Villanova) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5-6-4-2-3-1