VILLANOVA, Pa.- The Villanova softball team (3-7, 0-0 BIG EAST) will be staying in Florida this weekend as they head to face first Army West Point and host USF in Tampa, Fla. at the USF Under Armor Showcase on Friday Mar. 2. First pitch for the Army West Point game is set for 11:30 a.m. Live stats will be available for the USF, Western Michigan and Central Michigan games. The team will compete against five teams this weekend.
LAST TIME OUT
The Wildcats wrapped up play at the EMU Madeira Beach Invitational in which they played in five more games and wrapped up the weekend with one win and four losses. Senior Dana Morris had a great weekend as she picked up a hit in every game and had a homerun against Incarnate Word. In the win against Alabama state Villanova got the first runs of the game after Lauren Hanna singled and advanced to second on a passed ball, Nikki Alden was able to single and move Hanna to third. Dana Morris then belted a single which was able to score Hanna to put Villanova ahead 1-0. But the scoring wouldn’t end there as Caroline Jones knocked in a single to score in Dana Morris and Nikki Alden to put Villanova ahead 3-0. Freshman Anissa Amarillas pitched a great game as she went six innings with no runs and only gave up six hits.
MORRIS ON THE HONOR ROLL
Senior Dana Morris earned a spot on the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll on Mar.5. Morris was 6-for-15 (.400) at the plate this weekend with three RBI’s and six hits. Morris picked up a hit in every single game this weekend including a homerun against Incarnate Word and a double against SIUE. Against Loyola, she had her best game of the weekend when she went 2-for-3 while also recording an RBI.
SCOUTING THE FIELD
Villanova will play games which include, Army West Point, USF, Western Michigan, Central Michigan and Chattanooga.
- Army West Point enters the showcase with a 2-8 record. The Black Nights competed most recently in the Mary Nutter Classic in which they faced UC Riverside, Colorado State Weber State, Stanford, Sacramento State and UAB. The most recent game against UAB ended in a loss 9-1. Kristen McPeek leads the team in batting average at .346, while Courtney Springman has a 4.30 ERA in six appearances on the mound.
- USF comes into this weekend at 12-12 overall. The Bulls have won five games in a row. Most recently, the team had an 9-0 win over Seton Hall and a 8-0 win against Penn.
- Western Michigan is 8-10 on the year and has won their three most recent games. Kaylen Glenfield is the top offensive contributor for the Broncos. She is batting .368 in fifteen games this year with 14 hits, 10 RBI, and nine runs. Jordan Kurth has made 11 appearances on the mound. Kurth has an ERA of 4.20 with 32 strikeouts.
- Central Michigan currently is sporting a 7-8 record. The Chippewa’s are 2-1 in their last three games, with an 8-0 loss to South Dakota State in their most recent outing. Lacy Tolfree is the top hitter for Central Michigan. She has started in 15 of the 15 games this year and is batting .396 with 21 hits, nine runs and three RBI’s. The Chippewa’s have relied on Taylor Weaver as she has started in all 15 games this season. She holds a 0-2 record with a 4.61 ERA and 58 strikeouts.
- Chattanooga is 8-12 this season. The Mocs are coming off a recent loss to Belmont 3-0. Chattanooga has four hitters batting above .300 this year, led by Aly Walker’s .340 average. In the circle, Celle Hudson has made 13 appearances with 10 starts. She has a 3.94 ERA with 33 strikeouts.
The Wildcats will head to Delaware to compete in the Delaware Blue Hen Classic on Mar. 17. The team will face Cornell and host Delaware. First pitch is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. against Cornell.