VILLANOVA, Pa.- The Villanova softball team (2-3, 0-0 BIG EAST) will be returning to the EMU Madeira Beach Invitational this weekend as they head to face first University Incarnate Word and Alabama State on Mar. 2. First pitch for the Incarnate Word game is set for 11 a.m. Live stats will be available for all five games this weekend. The links can be found above for this weekend’s games. Games will be stated by Central Arkansas, Alabama State, and Eastern Michigan.
LAST TIME OUT
The Wildcats went 2-3 at the EMU Madeira Beach Invitational from Feb. 23-25. Villanova picked up wins against Marist, and Kent State and fell to McNeese State, Arkansas and Nicholls State. Freshman Anissa Amarillas pitched in two complete games during the invitational. She finished the weekend with a 2-1 record and an ERA of 3.44. In the final game of the weekend against Kent State, Villanova had a total of nine hits and one came as a home run by Anissa Amarillas. Brittany Husk had three hits in the game including a double. Lauren Hanna contributed greatly to the Wildcats victory as she had a two RBI game which included a double to help seal the Wildcats victory ending in a final score 4-2.
HUSK ON THE HONOR ROLL
Senior Brittany Husk (Miami, Fla.) earned a spot on the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll on Feb. 26. Husk Husk was 7-for-16 (.438) at the EMU Madeira Beach Invitational with three runs and three RBI’s. She was 3-for-4 in the win against Kent State, and she recorded a double in the game. Husk also had a successful game against McNeese State as she went 1-for-4 with a homerun and an RBI.
SCOUTING THE FIELD
Villanova will play games against Incarnate Word, Alabama State, SIUE, Central Arkansas and Loyola Chicago.
- Incarnate Word enters the tournament with a 0-4 record. The Cardinals competed most recently in the Texas Classic in which they faced Texas, Colorado State (twice) and Wisconsin. Victoria Bratcher leads the team in batting average at .364, while Sarah Leal has a 4.08 ERA in two appearances on the mound.
- Alabama State comes into this weekend at 4-10 overall. The Hornets have lost six games in a row. Most recently, the team had an 11-0 loss over Eastern Illinois and a 6-0 loss against Western Michigan. Alabama State’s top hitter is Casey Durham, who is hitting .324 with 12 hits.
- SIUE is 4-2 on the year and has their two most recent games. Bailley Concatto is the top offensive contributor for the Cougars. She is batting .538 in five games this year with seven hits, one RBI, and four runs. Emily Ingles has made five appearances on the mound. Ingles has an ERA of 1.18 with 17 strikeouts.
- Central Arkansas makes the short flight to Madeira Beach, sporting a 5-6 record. The Bears are 3-3 in their last six games, with a 6-2 loss to Austin Peay in their most recent outing. Brianna McArthur is the top hitter for Central Arkansas. She has started in 10 of the Bears’ 11 games this year and is batting .357 with five hits, three runs and four RBI. The Bears have relied on Rio Sanchez as she has started in four of the 11 games this season. She holds a 2-2 record with a 1.71 ERA and seven strikeouts.
- Loyola Chicago is 5-4 this season. The Ramblers are coming off a recent win to Alabama A&M 9-1. Loyola has six hitters batting above .300 this year, led by Shannon McGee’s .429 average. On the hill, Kiley Jones has made six appearances with five starts. She has a 1.42 ERA with 23 strikeouts.
The Wildcats will remain in Florida for next weekend’s USF Under Armour Showcase, which will take place from March 9-11.