Skip to main content Skip to footer
Early Goals Hurt Wildcats in 3-1 Loss to No. 15 Georgetown
Katie Martin scored her sixth goal of the season when she converted a penalty kick in the 67th minute.

Oct. 27, 2013

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

VILLANOVA, Pa. - Three goals that were scored less than 18 minutes apart in the first half created too much of a deficit to overcome and Villanova (6-8-3, 3-4-1 Big East) fell 3-1 to No. 15 Georgetown (14-1-2, 6-1-1 Big East) at the West Campus Soccer Complex on Sunday afternoon. Freshman forward Katie Martin (Dallas, Texas) scored the Wildcats only goal of the game on a penalty kick in the 67th minute.

The visiting Hoyas, who were defeated at Villanova last season, opened the scoring less than four minutes into the contest and built a 3-0 lead before the midpoint of the first period. Georgetown outshot the Wildcats by a 7-1 margin before halftime, with all seven shots coming in the first 22 minutes of the half.

In the fourth minute the Hoyas had momentum going forward in Villanova territory and Marina Paul played the ball up to Kaitlin Brenn, who one-timed the ball into the back of the net from the middle of the 18-yard box at 3:36 for the first goal of the game. After the goal Georgetown continued to put pressure on the Wildcats defense and maintained possession for several minutes.

Kailey Blain extended the Hoyas lead to 2-0 at 10:33 when she blasted a shot from 25 yards out that was tucked right under the crossbar. In the 22nd minute an initial shot by Daphne Corboz was saved by Villanova senior goalkeeper Jami Kranich (Hamden, Conn.) at close range but the rebound fell to Audra Ayotte, who scored at 21:20 to make the score 3-0.

The second half featured more balanced play from both teams and the Wildcats owned a 5-3 advantage in shots for the period. Villanova had possession in the 67th minute when Martin was tripped up just inside the 18-yard box and awarded a penalty kick. She converted the kick for her sixth goal of the season to get the Wildcats on the board.

Just three minutes later Villanova had another good look at the net but a shot by sophomore midfielder Renee Hart (Bethesda, Md.) was saved by Georgetown goalkeeper Emma Newins at 69:51. Over the final 20 minutes of the contest the Hoyas defense prevented the Wildcats from getting any closer than the final two-goal margin.

Georgetown wound up with a 10-6 edge in shots for the afternoon and a 5-1 advantage in corner kicks, including 4-0 in the second half. Kranich had two saves for Villanova and Newins made one stop for the Hoyas.

The final regular season game for the Wildcats is next Saturday against Providence at Noon.