Skip to main content Skip to footer
Wildcats Deadlock at VCU Following Lightning Delay, 1-1
Sophomore Caitlin Forte

Sept. 2, 2012

Box Score

RICHMOND, Va. - Sophomore midfielder Caitlin Forte (Selbyville, Del.) notched her second goal of the weekend to give Villanova (1-3-2) an early lead for the second straight game, but Virginia Commonwealth (1-2-2) responded in the 73rd minute as the Wildcats posted a 1-1 draw at Sports Backers Stadium on Sunday afternoon in Richmond, Va. After a one-hour lightning delay following the end of regulation, the Wildcats and Rams remained deadlocked after 110 minutes of play despite swings of momentum for both teams.

With the tie, Villanova concludes their weekend in Richmond with a 0-1-1 record after falling to the University of Richmond 3-1 on Friday evening. The draw also marks the second of the season for the Wildcats after they tied then-No. 13 Maryland 0-0 on August 19th.

The Villanova defense and senior goalkeeper Kelsey Quinn (Mt. Airy, Md.) were the storylines of the day after Quinn posted three of her seven saves in the final 20 minutes of the game, including two stops within eight seconds in the 91st minute.

The Wildcats found themselves with the upper-hand to begin the contest, outshooting the Rams 6-2 in the first stanza which was highlighted by Forte's score at the 21:02 mark. Sophomore midfielder Victoria Gersh (Silver Spring, Md.) was credited with an assist after crossing the ball into the box to find Forte who finished with a shot into the lower left corner to give VU the 1-0 lead. VCU couldn't seem to find many viable opportunities in the first 45 minutes of play after registering just two shots, but finished the half leading Villanova in corners 3-0.

The Rams seemed to find their edge coming out of the locker room and had several early scoring opportunities. VCU's Cristin Granados, who just a day earlier played 90 minutes for the Costa Rican National Team in a friendly against the United States, launched a shot from outside the box in the 73rd minute but just missed the top right corner of the net. Less than 20 seconds later, the Rams would find the equalizer when Granados took a feed from Jessie Krasko and slid the ball to the lower right post to tie the game with just under 17 minutes left in regulation.



Quinn would continue to make several key saves for Villanova, stopping a would-be goal from VCU's Courtney Conrad in the 87th to preserve the tie and send the game into extra time. After Villanova outshot VCU 6-2 in the first half, the Rams held a 12-1 advantage in shots during the second stanza including a 4-0 margin in shots on goal.

Following an hour of lightning delays at the end of regulation, VCU notched two quick shots on goal to start extra time but were thwarted by Quinn and Wildcat defense. In the 96th minute, Forte had an opportunity and became tangled with VCU goalkeeper Kristin Carden in front of the net but Carden managed to come up with the save to end the first overtime period. After a series of fouls for both teams in the final 10 minutes of play, VCU had their best opportunity in the 105th minute that missed wide.

Villanova was led by Gersh's three shots while Heidi Sabatura (Lawrenceville, N.J.), Kaitlin Hogman (Center Valley, Pa.), Renee Hart (Bethesda, Md.) and Forte also fired opportunities on net.

The Wildcats return to action this weekend in the Villanova Classic when they host William and Mary on Friday, September 7th and La Salle on Sunday, September 9th at West Campus Soccer Complex. Game times are scheduled for 11 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., respectively.