Villanova/Maryland Post-Game Notes
Aug. 19, 2012
- Today's result was the first-ever draw between Villanova and Maryland in a series that dates back to 1985. The Wildcats are 4-5-1 against the Terrapins and had won the most recent meeting by a 2-0 count on September 8, 2005 in the Maryland/adidas Classic.
- Head coach John Byford is in his fifth season at Villanova and is now 2-1-1 in games against teams from the ACC. The Wildcats have split two meetings with Virginia Tech in Byford's tenure, with each team winning on its home field. Villanova has also defeated Wake Forest in a neutral-site game played at Virginia Tech.
- Last season the Wildcats tallied their first and only shutout of the season in their 16th game, posting a 1-0 win over Cincinnati at home on October 9.
- Villanova is 23-4-4 (.806) all-time in the month of August.
- Dating back to the start of the 2006 season the Wildcats are 38-11-7 (.741) in their last 56 games at the West Campus Soccer Complex. Since John Byford became head coach before the 2008 season Villanova is 22-9-4 (.686) in home games on campus.
- Maryland is ranked No. 13 in the preseason NSCAA national poll. The last time the Wildcats played a team ranked higher than the Terrapins was on October 22, 2010 when Villanova hosted No. 4 Notre Dame.
- The last time the Wildcats posted either a win or a tie against a team ranked as high as No. 13 in the country was on September 24, 2004 when the team recorded a 1-0 win at No. 9 West Virginia.