Wildcats Dash in 74th Annual Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta
May 12, 2012
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - Villanova participated in three preliminaries this past weekend and notched a third-place finish in the Novice Eight preliminary race to advance to the semifinal in the 74th Dad Vail Regatta on the Schuylkill River course just northwest of Center City Philadelphia.
Freshman Sophie Grueterich was deployed in the stroke seat in the Novice Eight boat that cruised into the next round. The underclassman from Riverside, Connecticut displayed a strong amount of confidence in her position at the head of the boat as the `Cats crossed the line in a time of 7:20.64 to defeat fourth-place Army (7:44.59) and fifth-place finisher Ohio University (8:57.22). Local Drexel posted the victory in 7:10.49 while Brock (7:15.02) beat out VU by a near five seconds to earn the runner-up finish in second-place.
There were six entries in Villanova's semifinal race. Delaware (6:58.60) triumphed over the field and eked out a narrow margin of victory against Purdue (6:58.96). Led by Grueterich once again, VU (7:14.09) claimed fifth-place atop Emory with a time of 7:28.49. Registering the third position in the race was the women's point winner, Bucknell (6:59.01), while fourth-place was awarded to Connecticut in a time of 7:09.29.
The nine o'clock start time on Friday morning featured one of the preliminary races of the Varsity Four category with the coxswain. The Wildcats were slated in lane three among their four competitors and recorded a time of 8:10.82 to post the fourth slot with sophomore Jaclyn Prazenica carrying the reins. College of Charleston (8:12.28) finished shortly after VU to round out the competition in fifth while the Tar Heels of North Carolina (7:46.04) secured the win. Vermont (7:47.27) nipped at the heels of North Carolina, although would fall behind by approximately one-second. Receiving the third-place medal in the event was Connecticut (7:57.77).
Another fifth-place finish was collected by the `Cats in the preliminary of the Varsity Eight grouping with a time of 7:04.58. Prazenica directed the boat in the chase and trailed third-place finisher Georgia Tech (7:03.60) by less than a second. Grand Valley would excel amidst the field of six entries and come out on top with the time of 6:38.26. The Drexel Dragons (6:40.26) tabbed second-place honors while Florida University (7:04.59) edged VU in a photo finish. The final spot in the standings would be delivered to Eastern Michigan in a time of 7:14.67.
In the preliminary of the Women's Pair without the coxswain, a Villanova boat was entered, although later scratched and did not compete. Junior Abby Mansch was the intended stroke. Nova Southeastern would be victorious with a time of 8:31.11 over Case Western Reserve (8:32.71), Duke (8:44.57), Iona (8:53.63) and Philadelphia University (9:16.81).
There was a close battle in the women's point standings at the end of the regatta as four different schools tied with 16 points, which included Buffalo, Drexel, Marietta and Purdue. The point winner for the women was the Bucknell Bison (22) followed by Duke with 18.
A record number of entries from the United States and Canada competed in the regatta with over 127 colleges registered. This number broke the previous high of 122 entered.
The Dad Vail began in 1934 in Philadelphia and is now held annually since 1953 on the Schuylkill River. Thousands of spectators visited the City of Philadelphia during the second weekend of May to experience this prestigious event.
Complete Villanova Results:
Women's Varsity Four with Coxswain (Friday, 9:00 a.m.)
1) North Carolina - 7:46.04 (Alex Mcclelland)
2) Vermont - 7:47.27 (Julia Williams)
3) Connecticut - 7:57.77 (Katie Visentin)
4) Villanova - 8:10.82 (Jaclyn Prazenica)
5) College of Charleston - 8:12.28 (Deidra Weber)
Women's Pair without Coxswain (Friday, 10:30 a.m.)
1) Nova Southeastern - 8:31.11 (Dayna Triana)
2) Case Western Reserve - 8:32.71 (Caitlin Bowerman)
3) Duke - 8:44.57 (Julijana Englander)
4) Iona - 8:53.63 (Amanda Kenny)
5) Philadelphia University - 9:16.81 (Leah Nixon)
-) Villanova: Scratched (Abby Mansch)
Women's Varsity Eight (Friday, 11:48 a.m.)
1) Grand Valley - 6:38.26 (Carey Mankins)
2) Drexel - 6:40.26 (Asiya Mahmud)
3) Georgia Tech - 7:03.60 (Kaitlin Ayra)
4) Florida University - 7:04.56 (Britta Forsmark)
5) Villanova - 7:04.58 (Jaclyn Prazenica)
6) Eastern Michigan - 7:14.67 (Taylor Cyr)
Women's Novice Eight (Friday, 4:57 p.m.)
1) Drexel - 7:10.50 (Meredith Bracken)
2) Brock - 7:15.02 (Alicia Marconi)
3) Villanova - 7:20.64 (Sophie Grueterich)
4) Army - 7:44.59 (Sarah Williams)
5) Ohio University - 8:57.22 (Katie Thobum)
Women's Novice Eight (Saturday, 8:14 a.m.)
1) Delaware - 6:58.60 (Denise Cirelli)
2) Purdue - 6:58.96 (Alicia Newcomer)
3) Bucknell - 6:59.01 (Gloria Lee)
4) Connecticut University - 7:09.29 (Amanda Litty)
5) Villanova - 7:14.09 (Sophie Grueterich)
6) Emory - 7:28.49 (Amy Post)