April 26, 2014
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. - The No. 8 seeded Villanova men's tennis team was unable to pick up a victory in its final match of the season as Butler (11-10) topped the Wildcats 4-1 Saturday in a BIG EAST consolation contest at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Courts in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
The Wildcats wrap up the season 5-18 overall and 0-3 in their first year in the restructured BIG EAST.
Freshman Bradley Noyes (Marblehead, Mass.) ended the year on a high note following a triumph in his first conference championship. The righty took down Brandon Woods 6-4, 7-5 at the No. 3 flight to pick up his sixth win of the season.
Butler collected the triumph with a doubles victory followed by wins at the two, four and six slots.
Seniors Thomas O'Brien, Matt Colonnese and Ryan Peyton played the last matches of their careers in a Villanova uniform. Over the past four seasons, these three co-captains won a class best 36 wins, including a program record 13 victories and a No. 6 seed in the BIG EAST Tournament in 2013.
Villanova will enjoy some time off before head coach Brad Adams begins offseason workouts in the summer.
Be sure to follow the teams socially on Twitter @NovaMTennis to stay up to date with the latest offseason news and stories from the Wildcats.
Below is a look at the complete results of Saturday's Consolation match:
#5 Butler 4, #8 Villanova 1 - April 26 - USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center - Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
Doubles (Butler clinches doubles point ):
1. Billy Weldon/Sam O'Neill (BU-M) def. Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (NOVA) 8-2
2. Pulok Bhattacharya/Brandon Woods (BU-M) vs. Tim Abbracciamento/Bradley Noyes (NOVA) 7-7, unfinished
3. Alex Woldmoe/Tommy Marx (BU-M) def. Matt Colonnese/Michael Rosengren (NOVA) 8-7
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Austin Woldmoe (BU-M) vs. Thomas O'Brien (NOVA) 6-4, 1-6, 2-1, unfinished
2. Sam O'Neill (BU-M) def. Kelly Donaldson (NOVA) 6-2, 6-3
3. Bradley Noyes (NOVA) def. Brandon Woods (BU-M) 6-4, 7-5
4. Tommy Marx (BU-M) def. Tim Abbracciamento (NOVA) 6-1, 6-2
5. Billy Weldon (BU-M) vs. Michael Rosengren (NOVA) 4-6, 7-5, 1-1, unfinished
6. Andres Maynez (BU-M) def. Matt Colonnese (NOVA) 7-5, 6-3