April 25, 2014
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. - The No. 8 seeded Villanova men's tennis team suffers a setback in the BIG EAST Championship Quarterfinals as top-seed St. John's defeats the Wildcats 4-0 Friday afternoon at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center Courts in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
Despite entering the tournament on a high note, the nationally ranked Red Storm were too much for Villanova, dropping its record to 5-17 on the year and 0-2 in conference.
The Wildcats will play a back draw against No. 5 Butler at 6 p.m. The Bulldogs were downed by Xavier 4-2 later in the day.
The Johnnies took an early lead following a sweep of the doubles point to begin the match.
During singles action, Villanova was unable to get any momentum going, ultimately falling in the number 2, 4 and five matches to advance St. John's to the semifinals where they will take on No. 4 Creighton.
Indicative of the result, Michael Rosengren (Sharon, Mass.) traded points with Gary Kushniorovich at the No. 5 flight before falling 6-2, 6-4 to clinch the contest for the Red Storm.
Be sure to follow the teams socially on Twitter @NovaMTennis to stay up to date with the latest news and stories from the Wildcats.
Below is a look at the complete results of Friday's Quarterfinals match:
#1 St. John's 4, #8 Villanova 0 - April 25 - USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center - Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
Doubles (St. John's clinches doubles point ):
1. Vaidik Munshaw/Lucas Hejhal (SJU) def. Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson, 7-6
2. Erick Reyes/R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) def. Tim Abbracciamento/Bradley Noyes (VU), 8-4
3. Michael-John Every/Robert Livi (SJU) def. Matt Colonnese/Michael Rosengren (VU), 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) leading Thomas O'Brien (VU), 6-3, 1-2
2. Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Kelly Donaldson (VU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Robert Livi (SJU) leading Bradley Noyes (VU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Ruiz (SJU) def. Tim Abbracciamento (VU), 6-1, 6-0
5. Gary Kushnirovich (SJU) def. Michael Rosengren (VU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Michael-John Every (SJU) leading Matt Colonnese(VU), 6-4, 5-4
Order of finish: 4, 2, 5 (1, 3, 6 DNF)