April 20, 2013
SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Freshman Chris Seitz (Pennington, N.J.) won his No. 2 singles match but Villanova (13-10) was defeated by DePaul (6-17) by a final score of 4-1 at the South Bend Racquet Club on Saturday afternoon. The loss eliminated the Wildcats from the BIG EAST Championship in the first round of consolation play and ends what has been a very successful Villanova season.
Seitz is part of the promise for both the present and the future that the Wildcats showed this season. He defeated Mathias Bambach in straight sets for a 6-4, 6-3 victory which tied the team score at 1-1 after the Blue Demons captured the doubles point. Seitz finishes the season as one of five Villanova players with at least 15 singles wins during year.
At the start of Saturday's match DePaul was victorious in both the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches to secure the first point of the day. Hambach and Jan-Willem Feilzer defeated junior Matt Colonnese (Marietta, Ga.) and freshman Max Levine (Lubbock, Texas) by an 8-5 count at No. 2 doubles, while Seitz and junior Ryan Peyton (Newport Beach, Calif.) lost to Adam Reinhart and Paul John, 8-1, in the No. 3 match.
In the one doubles match not completed the Wildcats held a 6-5 lead, with junior Thomas O'Brien (Guilford, Conn.) and sophomore Kelly Donaldson (Broomfield, Colo.) holding the lead against Sten Leusink and Filip Dzanko.
The three singles wins that clinched the match for the Blue Demons came in straight sets at the No. 4, No. 3 and No. 5 spots. Sophomore Michael Rosengren (Sharon, Mass.) was defeated at No. 5 singles by Kyle Johnson, whose 6-1 and 6-3 set scores clinched the outcome of the match.
Peyton lost to Leusink at No. 3 singles (6-2, 6-4) and Levine fell to Feilzer in the No. 4 spot by identical scores of 6-2 and 6-2. DePaul advances to play in the fifth place match on Sunday afternoon, while Villanova finishes tied for seventh place at the conference championship.
During the 2012-13 season the Wildcats finished with an overall winning record in doubles play in both tournaments and dual matches. Two different doubles teams won more than 20 matches, including O'Brien and Donaldson as well as the tandem of Peyton and Seitz. In singles play Villanova had a winning overall record and got 20+ wins from both Levine (23-7) and O'Brien (20-13).
The entire top six in the Wildcats lineup is expected to return next season to a team which won the final seven matches of the regular season to earn the No. 6 seed in this weekend's conference tournament.
DEPAUL 4, VILLANOVA 1
April 20, 2013
South Bend, Ind.
South Bend Racquet Club
1. Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (Villanova) vs. Sten Leusink/Filip Dzanko (DePaul) - DID NOT FINISH (Villanova led 6-5)
2. Mathias Hambach/Jan-Willem Feilzer (DePaul) defeated Matt Colonnese/Max Levine (Villanova), 8-5
3. Adam Reinhart/Paul John (DePaul) defeated Ryan Peyton/Chris Seitz (Villanova), 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2
1. Thomas O'Brien (Villanova) vs. Filip Dzanko (DePaul) - DID NOT FINISH (DePaul led 7-5, 3-3)
2. Chris Seitz (Villanova) defeated Mathias Hambach (DePaul) 6-4, 6-3
3. Sten Leusink (DePaul) defeated Ryan Peyton (Villanova) 6-2, 6-4
4. Jan-Willem Feilzer (DePaul) defeated Max Levine (Villanova) 6-2, 6-2
5. Kyle Johnson (DePaul) defeated Michael Rosengren (Villanova) 6-1, 6-3
6. Tim Abbracciamento (Villanova) vs. Paul John (DePaul) - DID NOT FINISH (DePaul led 6-4, 3-3)
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 3, 5