April 19, 2013
SOUTH BEND, Ind. - In the quarterfinal match of the BIG EAST Championship on Friday afternoon No. 6 seed Villanova (13-9) lost to No. 3 seed USF (11-9) by a final score of 3-0 at Eck Tennis Pavilion, as inclement weather forced all matches today to be played indoors. The loss relegates the Wildcats to the consolation bracket in the conference tournament, were Villanova will face No. 7 seed DePaul on Saturday afternoon.
In picking up the victory on Friday the Bulls won the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles matches to clinch the doubles point, then emerged with wins from the No. 2, No. 1 and No. 5 singles spots in that order to close out the victory. USF entered play in the BIG EAST Championship ranked No. 68 in the nation.
Junior Thomas O'Brien (Guilford, Conn.) and sophomore Kelly Donaldson (Broomfield, Colo.) played at No. 1 doubles and were defeated by Oliver Pramming and Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz, 8-5. Pramming also defeated O'Brien in the No. 1 singles match by set scores of 6-1 and 6-1.
In the No. 3 doubles match junior Ryan Peyton (Newport Beach, Calif.) and freshman Chris Seitz (Pennington, N.J.) lost to Everth Dzib and Ravi Patel by an 8-4 count. Seitz lost to Gonzalez-Muniz in the No. 2 singles match, 6-4 and 6-1.
The match-clinching point for the Bulls came at No. 5 singles, where J.C. Acuna Gerard was a 6-1, 6-1 winner against Wildcats sophomore Michael Rosengren (Sharon, Mass.).
DePaul lost their quarterfinal match to No. 2 seed Louisville, 4-3, on Friday afternoon and will take on Villanova at Noon on Saturday. That match is to be played at the South Bend Racquet Club. Last season the Wildcats and Blue Demons were scheduled to meet in a consolation round of the conference tournament but rain washed out the match.
USF 4, VILLANOVA 0
April 19, 2013
South Bend, Ind.
Eck Tennis Pavilion
1. Oliver Pramming/Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) defeated Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (Villanova), 8-5
2. Matt Colonnese/Max Levine (Villanova) vs. J.C. Acuna Gerard/Federico Sabogal (USF) - DID NOT FINISH (USF led 7-5)
3. Everth Dzib/Ravi Patel (USF) defeated Ryan Peyton/Chris Seitz (Villanova), 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. Oliver Pramming (USF) defeated Thomas O'Brien (Villanova) 6-1, 6-1
2. Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) defeated Chris Seitz (Villanova) 6-4, 6-1
3. Ryan Peyton (Villanova) vs. Federico Sabogal (USF) - DID NOT FINISH (USF led 6-0, 5-4)
4. Max Levine (Villanova) vs. Ravi Patel (USF) - DID NOT FINISH (USF led 6-0, 5-4)
5. J.C. Acuna Gerard (USF) defeated Michael Rosengren (Villanova) 6-1, 6-1
6. Tim Abbracciamento (Villanova) vs. Everth Dzib (USF) - DID NOT FINISH (USF led 6-2, 4-1)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 5