April 15, 2013
VILLANOVA, Pa. - In the final match of the regular season Villanova (13-8) produced the kind of effort it will need in the postseason and held on for a 4-3 victory over Saint Joseph's (10-10) at the West Campus Tennis Courts on Monday afternoon. The win was the seventh in a row for the Wildcats, who captured the doubles point and won the first three singles matches to be completed.
The doubles matches were the biggest story of the day, as the contests at first and second doubles extended into a tiebreaker. Junior Thomas O'Brien (Guilford, Conn.) and sophomore Kelly Donaldson (Broomfield, Colo.) defeated Jose Sierra and Max Montague by a 9-8 (5) score at the top spot to clinch the doubles point after the first two doubles matches resulted in a split.
Junior Ryan Peyton (Newport Beach, Calif.) and freshman Chris Seitz (Pennington, N.J.) scored an 8-5 victory over Tommy Gates and Andres Urrea at No. 3 doubles, while the No. 2 doubles match was a thriller that the Hawks won by the narrowest of margins. Freshman Max Levine (Lubbock, Texas) and junior Matt Colonnese (Marietta, Ga.) were outlasted by Jeff Kessler and Dan Barrus, 9-8 (13-11).
In singles action Villanova tallied wins in each of the first three matches that finished and had the team win well in hand. Peyton won in straight sets at No. 3 singles, where he defeated Pierre Brondeau by set scores of 6-3 and 6-4. The clinching point came at No. 4 singles, where Levine was a 7-6 (3), 6-4 winner against Gates.
The biggest singles win for the Wildcats came from O'Brien, however, who rallied to beat Alex Veronis in the No. 1 singles spot. O'Brien was shut out in the first set, 6-0, but stormed back to win the next two sets 6-4 and 6-1 to close out the match.
Seeds for the BIG EAST Championship will be announced on Monday night. The conference tournament begins on Thursday morning and Villanova is likely to receive a bye until Friday.
VILLANOVA 4, SAINT JOSEPH'S 3
April 15, 2013
West Campus Tennis Courts
1. Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (Villanova) defeated Jose Sierra/Max Montague (Saint Joseph's), 9-8 (5)
2. Jeff Kessler/Dan Barrus (Saint Joseph's) defeated Max Levine/Matt Colonnese (Villanova), 9-8 (11)
3. Ryan Peyton/Chris Seitz (Villanova) defeated Tommy Gates/Andres Urrea (Saint Joseph's), 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Thomas O'Brien (Villanova) defeated Alex Veronis (Saint Joseph's) 0-6, 6-4, 6-1
2. Jose Sierra (Saint Joseph's) defeated Chris Seitz (Villanova) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
3. Ryan Peyton (Villanova) defeated Pierre Brondeau (Saint Joseph's) 6-3, 6-4
4. Max Levine (Villanova) defeated Tommy Gates (Saint Joseph's) 7-6 (3), 6-4
5. Max Montague (Saint Joseph's) defeated Michael Rosengren (Villanova) 6-0, 4-6, 10-7
6. Jeff Kessler (Saint Joseph's) defeated Tim Abbracciamento (Villanova) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 4, 2, 5, 6