April 14, 2013
VILLANOVA, Pa. - For the first time in five years Villanova (12-8) is on a six-match winning streak, as the Wildcats defeated La Salle (9-9) by a final score of 6-1 at the West Campus Tennis Courts on Sunday afternoon. Villanova has won six straight matches over the past nine days, the team's longest streak since winning six in a row from March 26-April 2, 2008.
The outcome of the match against the Explorers was never in doubt, as the Wildcats swept the three doubles matches and won the first five singles matches which were completed. La Salle scored its only win at No. 2 singles in the only match that extended to a third-set tiebreaker.
Junior Thomas O'Brien (Guilford, Conn.) was a 6-2, 6-4 winner at No. 1 singles against Joseph LaBate, while he and sophomore Kelly Donaldson (Broomfield, Colo.) scored an 8-3 victory in their No. 1 doubles match against De'Sean Fennell and Trevor Donovan. Later in the match Donaldson was also a winner in singles, where he posted a 6-1, 6-1 win over Robert Kasinow in the sixth spot in the lineup.
The other winning pairs in doubles for Villanova were junior Matt Colonnese (Marietta, Ga.) and freshman Max Levine (Lubbock, Texas) in the No. 2 spot, as well as junior Ryan Peyton (Newport Beach, Calif.) and freshman Chris Seitz (Pennington, N.J.) in the No. 3 doubles match.
Colonnese and Levine tallied an 8-1 victory over LaBate and Chas Berenato, while Peyton and Seitz won by the same score against Hunter Selman and Thomas MacLeod. In singles play, Levine was a 6-1, 6-2 winner over Donovan in the No. 4 slot and Peyton defeated Berenato (6-1, 6-3) at No. 3 singles.
Sophomore Michael Rosengren (Sharon, Mass.) defeated Dale Fetterman by a final count of 6-0 and 6-4 at No. 5 singles.
VILLANOVA 6, LA SALLE 1
April 14, 2013
West Campus Tennis Courts
1. Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (Villanova) defeated De'Sean Fennell/Trevor Donovan (La Salle), 8-3
2. Matt Colonnese/Max Levine (Villanova) defeated Joseph LaBate/Chas Berenato (La Salle), 8-1
3. Ryan Peyton/Chris Seitz (Villanova) defeated Hunter Selman/Thomas MacLeod (La Salle), 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Thomas O'Brien (Villanova) defeated Joseph LaBate (La Salle) 6-2, 6-4
2. De'Sean Fannell (La Salle) defeated Chris Seitz (Villanova), 7-6 (3), 3-6, 10-0
3. Ryan Peyton (Villanova) defeated Chas Berenato (La Salle) 6-1, 6-3
4. Max Levine (Villanova) defeated Trevor Donovan (La Salle) 6-1, 6-2
5. Michael Rosengren (Villanova) defeated Dale Fetterman (La Salle) 6-0, 6-4
6. Kelly Donaldson (Villanova) defeated Robert Kasinow (La Salle) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 3, 4, 1, 2