April 7, 2013
VILLANOVA, Pa. - Juniors Thomas O'Brien (Guilford, Conn.) and Ryan Peyton (Newport Beach, Calif.) each won their respective singles matches and both also were victorious in doubles play as Villanova (9-8) defeated Saint Francis (Pa.) (6-11) by a final score of 6-1 at the West Campus Tennis Courts on Sunday afternoon. With the win the Wildcats pushed their record above .500 for the first time this season.
O'Brien rallied to defeat Washi Gervais in the No. 1 singles match. After falling by a 6-1 margin in the opening set O'Brien rallied to win the second set 6-4, then took the tiebreaker by a 10-3 margin. He and sophomore Kelly Donaldson (Broomfield, Colo.) also defeated Gervais and Chris Jimenez at No. 1 doubles by an 8-1 margin.
In the No. 3 singles spot Peyton was a straight sets winner against Lawson Barter and claimed a 6-3, 6-1 victory. Peyton was also a winner in the No. 2 doubles match, where he and freshman Chris Seitz (Pennington, N.J.) rolled over Barter and Andres Rosa, 8-1.
The other individual winners for Villanova in the match were freshman Max Levine (Lubbock, Texas) and sophomore Michael Rosengren (Sharon, Mass.). Levine beat Jimenez (6-3, 6-1) at No. 4 singles and Rosengren notched a 6-2, 6-1 win over Juan Pardo in the No. 5 slot.
VILLANOVA 6, SAINT FRANCIS (PA.) 1
April 7, 2013
West Campus Tennis Courts
1. Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (Villanova) defeated Chris Jimenez/Washi Gervais (Saint Francis), 8-1
2. Ryan Peyton/Chris Seitz (Villanova) defeated Lawson Barter/Andres Rosa (Saint Francis), 8-1
3. Matt Colonnese/Max Levine (Villanova) defeated Saint Francis (walkover)
1. Thomas O'Brien (Villanova) defeated Washi Gervais (Saint Francis) 1-6, 6-4, 10-3
2. Andres Rosa (Saint Francis) defeated Chris Seitz (Villanova) by default
3. Ryan Peyton (Villanova) defeated Lawson Barter (Saint Francis) 6-3, 6-1
4. Max Levine (Villanova) defeated Chris Jimenez (Saint Francis) 6-3, 6-1
5. Michael Rosengren (Villanova) defeated Juan Pardo (Saint Francis) 6-2, 6-1
6. Joseph Monaldo (Villanova) defeated Saint Francis (walkover)