April 6, 2013
STORRS, Conn. - For the fifth time in the team's last six road matches Villanova (8-8) came away with a victory and a 6-1 win over Connecticut (3-10) at the UConn Tennis Courts on Saturday afternoon also evened the Wildcats record at .500 for the season. Villanova was in good shape after sweeping the doubles matches and then went on to score victories in each of the top five singles matches.
Freshman Chris Seitz (Pennington, N.J.) and junior Ryan Peyton (Newport Beach, Calif.) teamed up for a win at No. 3 doubles and each player also won their singles matches in straight sets. The pair went to a tiebreaker at No. 3 doubles before finishing off a 9-8 (7-1) victory against Joshua Palmer and Zac McEntee.
Seitz later defeated Ryan Carr at No. 2 singles by set scores of 6-1 and 6-4, while Peyton was a 6-4, 6-1 winner at the No. 3 spot against Mark HoSang. Freshman Max Levine (Lubbock, Texas) won in straight sets at No. 4 singles with a 7-5, 7-5 victory against Andrew Ginzberg. Levine and junior Matt Colonnese (Marietta, Ga.) won their No. 2 doubles match against HoSang and James Cohen by a 9-7 margin.
The other singles victories for the Wildcats came in the No. 1 and No. 5 matches. Junior Thomas O'Brien (Guilford, Conn.) defeated Wayne Harrell at the top spot, rallying for a 2-6, 6-4, 10-7 win that ended in a tiebreaker. Sophomore Michael Rosengren (Sharon, Mass.) defeated James Cohen in the No. 5 singles match (6-1, 6-0).
O'Brien and sophomore Kelly Donaldson (Broomfield, Colo.) cruised to an 8-3 win at No. 1 doubles against Carr and Harrell to start of the match on a strong note.
VILLANOVA 6, CONNECTICUT 1
April 6, 2013
UConn Tennis Courts
1. Kelly Donaldson/Thomas O'Brien (Villanova) defeated Ryan Carr/Wayne Harrell (Connecticut), 8-3
2. Matt Colonnese/Max Levine (Villanova) defeated James Cohen/Mark HoSang (Connecticut), 9-7
3. Chris Seitz/Ryan Peyton (Villanova) defeated Joshua Palmer/Zac McEntee (Connecticut), 9-8 (7-1)
1. Thomas O'Brien (Villanova) defeated Wayne Harrell (Connecticut) 2-6, 6-4, 10-7
2. Chris Seitz (Villanova) defeated Ryan Carr (Connecticut) 6-1, 6-4
3. Ryan Peyton (Villanova) defeated Mark HoSang (Connecticut) 6-4, 6-1
4. Max Levine (Villanova) defeated Andrew Ginzberg (Connecticut) 7-5, 7-5
5. Michael Rosengren (Villanova) defeated James Cohen (Connecticut) 6-1, 6-0
6. Zac McEntee (Connecticut) defeated Kelly Donaldson (Villanova) 4-6, 6-3, 10-3