April 6, 2014
VILLANOVA, Pa. - The Villanova men's tennis team (3-13) picked up its third in victory in the Wildcats last four matches after coming back to defeat Connecticut 4-3 Sunday at the Villanova Tennis Complex on West Campus.
"As usual with UConn it is always a battle," Villanova head coach Brad Adams said. "The team is pulling it together when it counts, leading up to the tournament."
Up 3-2, Bradley Noyes (Marblehead, Mass.) won a decisive third set, 6-4, at the No. 3 position to secure the victory for Villanova.
"I'm really proud of freshman Bradley Noyes for pulling through to clinch the match for us," Adams inputted.
The Wildcats went down early after the Huskies (6-11) claimed a pair of triumphs to clinch the doubles point and the first win at the No. 4 singles flight to go up, 2-0.
"Going down 1-0 after the doubles point was tough but I'm proud of the guys battling back to win four of the six singles matches," Adams added.
Thomas O'Brien (Branford, Conn.) put Villanova on the board when he swept past Wayne Harrell, 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 1 slot.
Shortly after, Michael Rosengren (Sharon, Mass.) evened the score at 2-2 when he knocked off Andrew Ginzberg at the No. 6 spot, 6-4, 7-6.
At the No. 5 flight, Tim Abbracciamento (Robbinsville, N.J.) gave Villanova the lead when he took down Parker Goldstein, 7-5, 4-6, 6-1.
Villanova returns to action Friday when they travel into the city to take on Saint Joseph's (11-4) at 3 p.m.
Below is a look at the complete results of Sunday's dual match:
Villanova 4, UConn 3 - April 6 - Villanova Tennis Complex - Villanova, Pa.
Doubles (UConn clinched doubles point):
1. Thomas O'Brien / Kelly Donaldson (VU) def. Ryan Carr/Wayne Harrell, 8-6
2. Christopher Toner/Jacob Spreyer (C) def. Tim Abbracciamento / Bradley Noyes (VU), 8-3
3. Joshua Palmer/Parker Goldstein (C) def. Matt Colonnese / Michael Rosengren (VU), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1) Thomas O'Brien (VU) def. Wayne Harrell (C), 6-4, 6-3
2) Jacob Spreyer (C) def. Mark Miller (VU), 6-7, 6-4, 10-8
3) Bradley Noyes (VU) def. Ryan Carr (C), 7-6, 5-7, 6-4
4) Christopher Toner (C) def. Ryan Peyton (VU), 6-3, 6-2
5) Tim Abbracciamento (VU) def. Parker Goldstein (C), 7-5, 4-6, 6-1
6) Michael Rosengren (VU) def. Andrew Ginzberg (C), 6-2, 7-6
Order of finish: 4, 1, 6, 5, 3, 2