April 2, 2013
VILLANOVA, Pa. - A sweep of the doubles matches set the tone early on and Villanova (6-7) defeated Monmouth (3-4) by a final score of 5-2 at the West Campus Tennis Courts on Tuesday afternoon. In the victory the Wildcats won four singles matches in straight sets.
The match began with a clean sweep in doubles play by Villanova, with junior Thomas O'Brien (Guilford, Conn.) and sophomore Kelly Donaldson (Broomfield, Colo.) picking up an 8-5 win over Freddy Marcinkowski and Ramy Bekhiet at the top spot. Freshman Max Levine (Lubbock, Texas) and sophomore Mark Miller (Englewood, Colo.) scored an 8-3 decision at No. 2 doubles against Jason Prezant and Jason Rothstein, while the tandem of junior Ryan Peyton (Newport Beach, Calif.) and freshman Chris Seitz (Pennington, N.J.) blanked Eric Pierce and Joe Talafous, 8-0, in the No. 3 doubles match.
In the four singles matches that the Wildcats won they combined to lose only five. Levine shut out Pierce at No. 4 singles (6-0, 6-0) and junior Matt Colonnese (Marietta, Ga.) had the same 6-0, 6-0 result against Talafous in the No. 6 singles match. O'Brien was a 6-1, 6-0 winner against Freddy Marcinkowski in the No. 1 spot and Seitz defeated Prezant in the No. 3 match (6-2, 6-2).
Villanova will be back in action against Georgetown on Wednesday afternoon.
VILLANOVA 5, MONMOUTH 2
April 2, 2013
West Campus Tennis Courts
1. Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (Villanova) defeated Freddy Marcinkowski/Ramy Bekhiet (Monmouth), 8-5
2. Max Levine/Mark Miller (Villanova) defeated Jason Prezant/Jason Rothstein (Monmouth), 8-3
3. Ryan Peyton/Chris Seitz (Villanova) defeated Eric Pierce/Joe Talafous (Monmouth), 8-0
1. Thomas O'Brien (Villanova) defeated Freddy Marcinkowski (Monmouth) 6-1, 6-0
2. Ramy Bekhiet (Monmouth) defeated Ryan Peyton (Villanova) 6-3, 7-6
3. Chris Seitz (Villanova) defeated Jason Prezant (Monmouth) 6-2, 6-2
4. Max Levine (Villanova) defeated Eric Pierce (Monmouth) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jason Rothstein (Monmouth) defeated Mark Miller (Villanova) 2-6, 6-2, 10-5
6. Matt Colonnese (Villanova) defeated Joe Talafous (Monmouth) 6-0, 6-0