March 27, 2013
HAMDEN, Conn. - Villanova (5-6) got back in the win column with a 6-1 triumph against Quinnipiac (3-9) at the QU Outdoor Tennis Courts on Wednesday afternoon. In the win the Wildcats swept all three doubles matches and won at each of the top five singles spots.
One of the best matches of the day came at No. 2 singles, where freshman Chris Seitz (Pennington, N.J.) outlasted Eric Ambrosio of the Bobcats for a thrilling, come-from-behind victory. After falling in the first set Seitz bounced back for a 6-7 (5), 7-6 (4), 10-8 win. He also teamed up with junior Ryan Peyton (Newport Beach, Calif.) at No. 3 doubles and the pair defeated John Petrini and Luke Roser, 8-3. Peyton scored a win over Roser in the No. 3 singles match, coming away with a 6-0, 6-3 victory.
The other doubles pairings were sophomore Kelly Donaldson (Broomfield, Colo.) and junior Thomas O'Brien (Guilford, Conn.) at the top spot as well as the combination of junior Matt Colonnese (Marietta, Ga.) and freshman Max Levine (Lubbock, Texas) in the No. 2 doubles match. Donaldson and O'Brien beat Ambrosio and Fahoum Fahoum, 9-7, and the tandem of Colonnese and Levine knocked off Corey Morganstern and Chris Nelson by a 9-8 (8) final.
O'Brien defeated Fahoum in the No. 1 singles match by set scores of 6-3 and 6-2, while Levine rallied to beat Garrett lane at No. 4 singles (2-6, 6-3, 6-4). The other win for the Wildcats came from sophomore Michael Rosengren (Sharon, Mass.), who beat Morganstern in the No. 5 spot (6-4, 6-3).
Villanova returns to action tomorrow afternoon for a match at Bucknell.
VILLANOVA 6, QUINNIPIAC 1
March 27, 2013
QU Outdoor Tennis Courts
1. Kelly Donaldson/Thomas O'Brien (Villanova) defeated Eric Ambrosio/Fahoum Fahoum (Quinnipiac), 9-7
2. Matt Colonnese/Max Levine (Villanova) defeated Corey Morganstern/Chris Nelson (Quinnipiac), 9-8 (8)
3. Ryan Peyton/Chris Seitz (Villanova) defeated John Petrini/Luke Roser (Quinnipiac), 8-3
1. Thomas O'Brien (Villanova) defeated Fahoum Fahoum (Quinnipiac) 6-3, 6-2
2. Chris Seitz (Villanova) defeated Eric Ambrosio (Quinnipiac) 6-7 (5), 7-6 (4), 10-8
3. Ryan Peyton (Villanova) defeated Luke Roser (Quinnipiac) 6-0, 6-3
4. Max Levine (Villanova) defeated Garrett Lane (Quinnipiac) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Michael Rosengren (Villanova) defeated Corey Morganstern (Quinnipiac) 6-4, 6-3
6. John Petrini (Quinnipiac) defeated Mark Miller (Villanova) 1-6, 7-5, 6-3