March 24, 2013
VILLANOVA, Pa. - Three of the six singles matches went to three sets but Villanova (4-6) came out on the short end of each of those matches in an extremely close 4-3 loss to NJIT (14-3) at the West Campus Tennis Courts on Sunday afternoon. In the match the Wildcats won the doubles point and were also victorious at the No. 1 and No. 3 singles slots.
Junior Thomas O'Brien (Guilford, Conn.) was a 6-4, 6-0 winner at No. 1 singles against Markus Schultz after earlier teaming up with sophomore Kelly Donaldson (Broomfield, Colo.) in the No. 1 doubles match. O'Brien and Donaldson defeated Erik Artursson and Petr Rousar, 9-8 (8) and Villanova clinched the doubles point with a win at No. 3 doubles from junior Ryan Peyton (Newport Beach, Calif.) and freshman Chris Seitz (Pennington, N.J.). They defeated Andres Alban and Jack Felich by an 8-6 count.
In singles play Peyton knocked off Alban in the No. 3 match by identical set scores of 6-3 and 6-3.
Next up for the Wildcats is a Wednesday afternoon match at Quinnipiac.
NJIT 4, VILLANOVA 3
March 24, 2013
West Campus Tennis Courts
1. Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (Villanova) defeated Erik Artursson/Petr Rousar (NJIT), 9-8 (8)
2. Holger Norregaard/Markus Schultz (NJIT) defeated Matt Colonnese/Max Levine (Villanova), 8-6
3. Ryan Peyton/Chris Seitz (Villanova) defeated Andres Alban/Jack Felich (NJIT), 8-6
1. Thomas O'Brien (Villanova) defeated Markus Schultz (NJIT) 6-4, 6-0
2. Holger Norregaard (NJIT) defeated Chris Seitz (Villanova) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Ryan Peyton (Villanova) defeated Andres Alban (NJIT) 6-3, 6-3
4. Petr Rousar (NJIT) defeated Max Levine (Villanova) 1-6, 6-2, 7-6 (5)
5. Erik Artursson (NJIT) defeated Michael Rosengren (Villanova) 6-2, 6-2
6. Fraser Croad (NJIT) defeated Kelly Donaldson (Villanova) 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (3)