March 31, 2014
VILLANOVA, Pa. - For the second time in as many matches, the Villanova men's tennis team (2-12 overall, 0-1 BIG EAST) is victorious after junior Kelly Donaldson (Broomfield, Colo.) won a 6-4 decision in the final set with the contest tied at 3-3, aiding the Wildcats to a 4-3 comeback triumph over Bucknell (2-11, 1-0 Patriot League) Monday afternoon at the Villanova Tennis Complex located on West Campus.
The Wildcats improve to 2-12 with the victory, while the Bison drop to 2-11 on the year.
Bucknell jumped out to an early 2-0 advantage after sweeping the doubles point and earning a quick two set win by Nick Bybel at the No. 1 slot.
Senior Ryan Peyton (Newport Beach, Calif.), the team's current wins leader, added another victory to his resume when he claimed Villanova's first point of the afternoon in a 6-1, 6-2 landslide over Octavio Canibe at the No. 4 flight.
Junior Tim Abbracciamento (Robbinsville, N.J.) tied the match at 2-2 when he beat Kyle Rosen, 6-4, 6-2, at the No. 5 spot.
Shortly after the Bison reclaimed the lead, Michael Rosengren (Sharon, Mass.) tied the contest for the second time. The junior defeated Irwin Reilbeisen, 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 6 position.
Riding back-to-back wins, Villanova aims to make it three straight Wednesday on the road against Monmouth, N.J. (6-6, 2-0 MAAC)
Villanova 4, Bucknell 3 - March 31 - Villanova Tennis Complex - Villanova, Pa.
Doubles: (Bucknell clinched doubles point)
1. Nick Bybel/Aidan Lynch (BU) def. Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (VU), 8-6
2. Chris Tortora/Scott Bernstein (BU) def. Tim Abbraciamento/Bradley Noyes (VU) , 8-6
3. Bryan Adams/Octavio Canibe (BU) def. Matt Colonnese/Michael Rosengren (VU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Nick Bybel (BU) def. Mark Miller (VU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Kelly Donaldson (VU) def. Aidan Lynch (BU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Bryan Adams (BU) def. Bradley Noyes (VU), 6-4, 6-3
4. Ryan Peyton (VU) def. Octavio Canibe (BU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Tim Abbracciamento (VU) def. Kyle Rosen (BU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Michael Rosengren (VU) def. Irwin Reibeisen (BU), 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 5, 3, 6, 2