March 29, 2012
VILLANOVA, Pa. - Five wins out of the six singles matches played was the deciding factor and Villanova (4-8) defeated Bucknell (5-9) by a final score of 5-2 at the West Campus Tennis Courts on Wednesday afternoon. The singles matches were played first and the Wildcats clinched the match before the Bison went on to capture the doubles point.
The first two singles matches to conclude featured a win for sophomore Ryan Peyton (Newport Beach, Calif.) at the No. 3 spot and a loss for sophomore Matt Colonnese (Marietta, Ga.) in the No. 2 draw. Peyton won his match over Octavio Canibe in straight sets (6-4, 6-0) and Colonnese fell by scores of 6-2 and 6-2 to Evan Zimmer.
Those two matches left the team score tied at 1-1 but Villanova won the next four matches to decide the outcome, with freshman Tim Abbracciamento (Robbinsville, N.J.) scoring the clinching point at No. 5 singles with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Gregory Maxson.
Other wins for the Wildcats came from sophomore Thomas O'Brien (Guilford, Conn.) at No. 1 singles (6-4, 1-6, 7-5), freshman Michael Rosengren (Sharon, Mass.) at the No.4 spot (4-6, 7-6, 6-2) and freshman Mark Miller (Englewood, Colo.) in the No. 6 draw (6-3, 4-6, 10-4).
In doubles play O'Brien teamed with freshman Kelly Donaldson (Broomfield, Colo.) for an 8-7 (5) victory in the No. 1 spot. That was the final doubles match to finish and Bucknell clinched the doubles point with wins in the No. 2 and No. 3 matches.
Next up for Villanova is a match at Monmouth on Friday at 2:30 p.m.
VILLANOVA 5, BUCKNELL 2
March 28, 2012
West Campus Tennis Courts
1) Thomas O'Brien (VU) defeated Gregg Cohenca (BU) 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
2) Evan Zimmer (BU) defeated Matt Colonnese (VU) 6-2, 6-2
3) Ryan Peyton (VU) defeated Octavio Canibe (BU) 6-4, 6-0
4) Michael Rosengren (VU) defeated Josh Katten (BU) 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2
5) Tim Abbracciamento (VU) defeated Gregory Maxson (BU) 6-2, 6-2
6) Mark Miller (VU) defeated Kyle Rosen (BU) 6-3, 4-6, 10-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1, 4, 5, 6
1) Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (VU) defeated Gregg Cohenca/Aidan Lynch (BU) 8-7 (5)
2) Evan Zimmer/Josh Katten (BU) defeated Ryan Peyton/Michael Rosengren (VU) 8-4
3) Kelly Morque/Scott Bernstein (BU) defeated Kyle Grandin/Mark Miller (VU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1