VILLANOVA, Pa. -- The Villanova men's tennis squad improved to 10-3 on the season with a 7-0 victory over La Salle on March 26, 1998, in a collegiate match on the campus of Villanova University. The Wildcats did not lose a set on the afternoon.
The Wildcats were led by Rich Young, who recorded a straight-set victory over the Explorer's Ed Colfer, 6-1 6-3, in the No. 1 singles match-up. Young, a senior from Easton, Pa., is now 7-4 in 1998, and has held on to the top singles spot throughout the season. Rob Campbell, Jay Kennedy, Robert Waibel, Stephen Smith and Mike Mock were also victorious in singles matches for head coach Bob Batman. Campbell, in the No. 2 singles match, defeated Jordan Biel 6-4, 6-2, while Kennedy recorded a 6-1, 7-5 victory over Drew Elder in the No. 3 singles contest. Campbell imrpves to 10-2 on the season in singles, while Kennedy is 9-2 at the No. 3 spot this season.
The Wildcats will face Temple on Saturday, March 28, 1998, in Philadelphia at 2 p.m.
Villanova 7, La Salle 0
March 26, 1998, Villanova University
1. Rich Young (VU) def. Ed Colfer (LS) 6-1, 6-3
2. Rob Campbell (VU) def. Jordan Biel (LS) 6-4, 6-2
3. Jay Kennedy (VU) def. Drew Elder (LS) 6-1, 7-5
4. Robert Waibel (VU) def. Reha(LS) 6-4, 6-4
5. Stephen Smith (VU) def. Bob Wlotko (LS) 6-4, 6-4
6. Mike Mock (VU) def. Andy Pessano (LS) 6-0, 6-1
1. Young and Waibel (VU) def. Colfer and Elder (LS) 8-3
2. Kennedy and Campbell (VU) def. Biel and Chaudhry (LS) 8-2
3. Wlotko and Pessano (LS) def. Ramon Prats and Casey Simmons (VU) (exh.) 8-6