March 23, 2014
VILLANOVA, Pa. - Despite an early setback during doubles action to begin the match, the Villanova men's tennis team (1-12) earned its first win of the season on Sunday as the Wildcats eased their way past city rival La Salle, 6-1, at the Villanova Tennis Complex.
"I was pleased with our singles play and it looks as if this win will get us back on track," Villanova head coach Brad Adams said. "We have been dealt a couple of bad hands with the loss of some players and injury but I am counting on this win to help make sure that we get winning hands throughout the rest of our season leading into the conference championships."
The Explorers (6-6) registered an early advantage when they clinched the doubles point with 8-5, 8-6 wins at the No. 3 and No. 2 slots, respectively.
"Doubles was a tough loss, it seemed that our players were a little off their game after the Temple loss," Adams added.
The Wildcats would go on to sweep each singles match to help record their first victory in 13 tries. Bradley Noyes(Marblehead, Mass.) got it started with a dominating 6-0, 6-2 triumph over Brian Balico at the No. 4 slot.
At the No. 6 position, Matt Colonnese(Marietta, Ga.) continued the winning when he defeated Mark Robinson 6-2, 6-0 to take a 2-1 lead.
Mark Miller(Englewood, Colo.) defeated Dale Fetterman, 6-4, 6-2, at the No. 2 flight to extend Villanova's lead.
The Wildcats would secure their first victory when Tim Abbracciamento(Robbinsville, N.J.) knocked off Thomas MacLeod 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 5 spot.
Due to the predicted forecast, Tuesday's match against Bucknell will be rescheduled to a later date in the season. The Wildcats will return to the court Saturday against Fairfield.
Below is a look at the complete results of Sunday's dual match:
Villanova 6, La Salle 1 - Mar. 23 - Villanova Tennis Complex - Villanova, Pa.
Doubles (La Salle clinched doubles point):
1. Thomas O'Brien / Kelly Donaldson (VU) def. Balico / Kanisnow (LS), 8-6
2. Fennell / Fetterman (LS) def. Tim Abbracciamento / Bradley Noyes (VU), 8-6
3. Mecleod / Robinson (LS) def. Chris Cua / Joseph Monaldo (VU), 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1) Thomas O'Brien (VU) def. De'Sean Fennell (LS), 6-1, 6-2
2) Mark Miller (VU) def. Dale Fetterman (LS), 6-4, 6-2
3) Ryan Peyton (VU) def. Robert Kasinow (LS), 6-2, 6-3
4) Bradley Noyes (VU) def. Brian Balico (LS), 6-0, 6-2
5) Tim Abbracciamento (VU) def. Thomas MacLeod (LS), 6-2, 6-1
6) Matt Colonnese (VU) def. Mark Robinson (LS), 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 4,6,2,5,3,1