March 22, 2005
VILLANOVA, Pa. - The Villanova men's tennis squad was a point shy of notching its fifth win of the season, but darkness fell and the Wildcats (4-7) and Mountain Hawks were unable to complete their match on Tuesday evening at the Villanova Tennis Complex. A team must reach four points to receive a win, so the match does not count towards Villanova's season record.
Senior Angel Rubio (Estado de Mexico, Mexico) and freshman Scott Fahrendorf each won their singles matches, as Rubio cruised to a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Alfredo Fernandez-Concha at the No. 4 spot and Fahrendorf held off Brad Nelson for a 7-5, 7-6 victory at No. 5.
Villanova also won two of the three doubles matches, as senior Aaron Kusza (Wallingford, Conn.) paired up with senior Ricardo Baraldi (Delray Beach, Fla.) for an 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles over Ty Esler and Randall Smalley. Gallagher and freshman Charlie Farmer (Newport Beach, Calif.) won their No. 3 singles match in a close 9-8 decision.
Lehigh posted wins at No. 2 doubles and at the No. 1 and No. 2 singles spots to account for its three points.
Villanova returns to action on March 30 when it hosts Rutgers for a Big East match beginning at 3 p.m.
Villanova 3, Lehigh 2
1. Esler (LU) def. Kusza (VU), 6-0, 6-4
2. Smalley (LU) def. Baraldi (VU), 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
3. Chimerakis (VU) vs. Lloyd (LU), incomplete, 6-4, 4-6, 2-5
4. Rubio (VU) def. Fernandez-Concha (VU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Fahrendorf (VU) def. Nelson (LU), 7-5, 7-6
6. Sean Gallagher (VU) vs. Nespoli, incomplete, 7-5, 6-7, 2-2
1. Kusza/Baraldi (VU) def. Esler/Smalley (LU), 8-6
2. Nespoli/Shapiro (LU) def. Chimerakis/Fahrendorf (VU), 8-2
3. Gallagher/Farmer (VU) def. Nelson/Concha (LU), 9-8