Despite Losing Doubles Point Navy Drops Villanova
March 20, 2014
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Despite an early lead after doubles play, the Villanova men's tennis team (0-10) dropped its 10th match as the Navy (12-5) dropped the Wildcats 5-2 Thursday afternoon at the Tose Family Tennis Center.
Villanova jumped out to an early lead after Matt Colonnese (Marietta, Ga.) and Michael Rosengren (Sharon, Mass.) handled Alex Gaines and Khrishna 8-6 at the No. 3 doubles flight to claim the first point.
Despite an early deficit, the Midshipmen would knock off the Wildcats at every position but the No. 1 spot to pick up their 12th victory of the season. Alex Gaines rallied back against Michael Rosengren at the No. 6 position to win 4-6, 6-1, 6-2 and clinch the victory.
At the No. 1 flight, Mark Miller (Englewood, Colo.) took care of Thomas Pecor 6-4, 3-0 retired for Villanova's only point during singles action.
The Wildcats will make its home debut tomorrow, Mar. 21 against Duquesne at 3:30 p.m.
Below is a look at the complete results of Thursday's dual match:
Navy 5, Villanova 2 - Mar. 20 - Tose Family Tennis Center - Annapolis, Md.
Doubles (Delaware clinched doubles point):
1. Miller, Mark (VU) def. Pecor, Thomas (NAVY), 6-4, 3-0 retired
2. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Donaldson, Kelly (VU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Peyton, Ryan (VU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Jana, Krishna (NAVY) def. Noyes, Bradley (VU), 7-5, 6-3
5. Tossavainen, Tyler (NAVY) def. Abbracciamento, Tim (VU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
6. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) def. Rosengren, Michael (VU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
ORDER OF FINISH: 3-2-4-1-6-5