March 16, 2014
WILMINGTON, Del. - Following a 6-1 defeat to Lehigh the previous day, the Villanova men's tennis team (0-9) dropped its ninth match Sunday afternoon as Delaware (3-5) downed the Wildcats 5-2 at the DuPont Country Club in Wilmington, Del.
The Blue Hens put the first point on the board after clinching the doubles point with victories at the top two spots. The No. 3 doubles match was suspended with the score tied at 7-7.
Delaware would capture the match after scoring victories in the top three singles positions. Troy Beneck defeated Mark Miller (Englewood, Colo.), 6-2, 6-4, to give the Blue Hens their third victory of the season.
Bradley Noyes (Marblehead, Mass.) put the Wildcats on the board when he breezed past Alex Sweet 6-0, 6-1 at the No. 4 slot.
At the No. 6 slot, Tim Abbraccimento (Robbinsville, N.J.) rallied from a first set deficit to knock off Tim Puterio 2-6, 6-2, 10-7 for their second point of the afternoon.
Villanova will return to the courts Thursday against Navy (11-5) in Annapolis, Md. The match marks a makeup date from a previously scheduled contest.
Below is a look at the complete results of Sunday's dual match:
Delaware 5, Villanova 2 - Mar. 16 - DuPont Country Club - Wilmington, Del.
Doubles (Delaware clinched doubles point):
1. Troy Beneck/Adam Lawton (UD) def. Kelly Donaldson/Mark Miller (VU), 8-4
2. Evan Andrews/Mike Furr (UD) def. Matt Colonnese/Michael Rosengren (VU), 8-4
3. Tim Puterio/Zack Niklaus (UD) DNF Tim Abbracciamento/Brad Noyes (VU), 7-7
1. Troy Beneck (UD) def. Mark Miller (VU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Adam Lawton (UD) def. Kelly Donaldson (VU), 6-1, 5-7, 10-6
3. Mike Furr (UD) def. Ryan Peyton (VU), 6-2, 1-6, 10-3
4. Bradley Noyes (VU) def. Alex Sweet (UD), 6-0, 6-1
5. Zack Niklaus (UD) def. Michael Rosengren (VU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Tim Abbracciamento (VU) def. Tim Puterio (UD), 2-6, 6-2, 10-7
ORDER OF FINISH: 3, 2, 1, 4, 6, 5