March 7, 2013
WHITTIER, Calif. - After eight of the nine matches for the day had already been completed Villanova (2-5) found itself tied with Whittier (3-2) in a gritty match at the Richard Ettinger Tennis Center. Junior Ryan Peyton (Newport Beach, Calif.) was the last player left on the court for the Wildcats and he pulled out a three-set victory at No. 3 singles to clinch a 5-4 victory for Villanova in the final match of its Spring Break trip to California.
The team win is the second of the season for the Wildcats, who were victorious in four singles matches. Peyton was instrumental in the win, not only clinching the match with his come-from-behind singles win but also teaming up with freshman Chris Seitz (Pennington, N.J.) at No. 3 doubles to notch the only doubles win for Villanova during the match.
Peyton and Seitz defeated Matthew Herron and Shogo Shimizu by a 9-7 score but the Wildcats headed to singles play trailing 2-1 in the match. The team score was tied at 4-4 with Peyton and Chris Schommer still battling to gain control of their singles contest. Peyton recovered from losing the opening set by a 6-2 margin to win the second and third sets by scores of 7-5 and 6-4.
Freshman Max Levine (Lubbock, Texas) and sophomores Tim Abbracciamento (Robbinsville, N.J.) and Michael Rosengren (Sharon, Mass.) were the other winners in singles matches for Villanova. Levine defeated Herron in straight sets at the No. 4 spot, easily winning 6-3 and 6-3. Rosengren won his No. 6 singles match in straight sets as well, topping Andrew Hansen 7-6 (4) and 6-2 for the win.
Abbracciamento rallied past Bo Brynteson in the No. 5 singles match to score a 4-6, 6-2, 6-0 victory.
VILLANOVA 5, WHITTIER 4
March 7, 2013
1. David Konstantinov/Julian Seneviratne (Whittier) defeated Kelly Donaldson/Thomas O'Brien (Villanova), 9-8 (7-4)
2. Chris Schommer/Andrew Hansen (Whittier) defeated Michael Rosengren/Tim Abbracciamento (Villanova), 8-6
3. Ryan Peyton/Chris Seitz (Villanova) defeated Matthew Herron/Shogo Shimizu (Whittier), 9-7
1. Julian Seneviratne (Whittier) defeated Thomas O'Brien (Villanova) 6-3, 6-4
2. David Konstantinov (Whittier) defeated Chris Seitz (Villanova) 6-2, 1-6, 7-5
3. Ryan Peyton (Villanova) defeated Chris Schommer (Whittier) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
4. Max Levine (Villanova) defeated Matthew Herron (Whittier) 6-3, 6-3
5. Tim Abbracciamento (Villanova) defeated Bo Brynteson (Whittier) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
6. Michael Rosengren (Villanova) defeated Andrew Hansen (Whitter) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2