March 5, 2014
WHITTIER, Calif. - In a back-and-forth battle that went down to the No. 6 singles match, the Villanova men's tennis team (0-6) dropped its fifth match of the season as Whittier College (2-2) edged the Wildcats 5-4 Wednesday afternoon at the Richard Ettinger Tennis Courts in Whittier, Calif.
Division III rules state that all doubles matches are to be scored individually and not on a point basis. With that said, Villanova took an early 2-1 lead following doubles action when No. 2 duo Michael Rosengren and Matt Colonnese cruised to 8-3 victory and Tim Abbraciamento joined Bradley Noyes in a 8-5 win at the No. 2 and No. 3 slots, respectively.
The Poets would score victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions to begin singles play and take back the lead. However, the Wildcats would halt Whittier's three consecutive victories after Michael Rosengren rallied back from a first set defeat to knock off Troy Chavez 3-6, 6-0, 6-2 in the No. 4 spot.
Kelly Donaldson would fall in a tight match at the No. 3 slot determined by a third set tiebreaker to give the Poets a 4-3 lead with only two matches remaining.
After capturing a first set victory at the No. 5 position, Tim Abbraciamento dropped game two 7-5 as Mark Anthony Kenney forced a final set. In the final set, the match stayed on serve until Abbracciamento broke Kenney at 5-4 and tie the match with only Matt Colonnese left to finish.
Colonnese was edged 7-6 (2) in the first set tiebreaker before forcing a final set with a 6-4 win. In the final frame, Linscott proved to be victorious and scored a 6-2 triumph to give the Poets their first ever match against a Div. I opponent.
Villanova will conclude its spring break trip with a Saturday showdown against UC Riverside at Andulka Park.
Below is a look at the complete results of Wednesday's dual match:
Whittier 5, Villanova 4 - Mar. 5 - Richard Ettinger Tennis Courts - Whittier Tennis Courts
Doubles (Whittier takes the doubles point)
1. #23 David Konstantivov/Chris Schommer (WC) def. Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (VU), 8-3
2. Michael Rosengren/Matt Colonnese (VU) def. Troy Chavez/Samuel Farmer (WC), 8-3
3. Tim Abbracciamento/Bradley Noyes (VU) def. Mark-Anthony Kenney/Tyler Linscott (WC), 8-5
1. #11 David Konstantinov (WC) def. Thomas O'Brien (VU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Chris Schommer (WC) def. Mark Miller (VU), 7-5, 6-2
3. Samuel Farmer (WC) def. Kelly Donaldson (VU), 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (1)
4. Michael Rosengren (VU) def. Troy Chavez (WC), 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
5. Tim Abbracciamento (VU) def. Mark-Anthony Kenney (WC), 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
6. Tyler Linscott (WC) def. Matt Colonnese (VU), 7-6 (2), 4-6, 6-2