March 4, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - Challenging themselves against some of the top-teams in the country in California, the Villanova men's tennis team took on a regionally ranked squad from Division II Tuesday afternoon and the Wildcats were upended 7-2 by Point Loma Nazarene at the PLNU Tennis Courts in San Diego, Calif.
Villanova falls to 0-5 on the young season. Despite the slow start the Wildcats have plenty optimism as the team started sluggish last year, dropping five of their first six matches before finishing a strong 12-3 and earning their highest seed in the BIG EAST tournament in program history.
Although the score looked lopsided, the Wildcats were in a tight match until the finish. After the Sea Lions jumped out to an early 2-1 advantage with the result of a pair of doubles wins at the top-two spots, Villanova would rebound to play tight matches in three singles matches and coast at the No. 6 position.
Michael Rosengren (Sharon, Mass.) breezed by Benjamin Hammond 6-0, 6-2 at the final singles slot to give the Wildcats their second point of the afternoon.
At the top spot, Thomas O'Brien (Branford, Conn.) gave Brooks Baldinger all he could handle after suffering a 3-6 defeat in the first set. The senior would dominate the second stanza, 6-2, before falling just short in an intense back-and-forth 7-6 third set tiebreaker.
Kelly Donaldson (Broomfield, Colo.) forced Martin Blaho to three sets at the No. 3 position. The Broomfield, Colo. product dropped a tight first set, 7-6, before rebounding with a 4-6 set two victory to force the final game. Blaho would capture the win with a 6-1 third set triumph.
In doubles action, No. 3 duo Tim Abbracciamento (Robbinsville, N.J.) and Bradley Noyes (Marblehead, Mass.) knocked-off Kevin McKelligan and Daniel Milliken 8-4 for their first win together of the year.
The Wildcats return to action Wednesday against Whittier at 2:30 p.m.
Below is a look at the complete results of Tuesday's dual match:
Point Loma 7, Villanova 2 - Mar. 4 - PLNU Tennis Courts - San Diego, Calif.
Doubles (PLNU takes the doubles point)
1. Michael Zablan/Brooks Baldinger (PLNU) def. Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (VU), 8-3
2. Martin Blaho/Kaptan Kaster (PLNU) def. Matt Colonnese/Michael Rosengren (VU), 8-1
3. Tim Abbracciamento/Bradley Noyes (VU) def. Kevin McKelligan/Daniel Milliken (PLNU), 8-4
1. Brooks Baldinger (PLNU) def. Thomas O'Brien (VU), 3-6, 6-2, 7-6
2. Michael Zablan (PLNU) def. Mark Miller (VU), 6-4, 7-5
3. Martin Blaho (PLNU) def. Kelly Donaldson (VU), 7-6, 4-6, 6-1
4. Kaptan Kaster (PLNU) def. Ryan Peyton (VU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Daniel Milliken (PLNU) def. Tim Abbracciamento (VU), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
6. Michael Rosengren (VU) def. Benjamin Hammond (PLNU), 6-0, 6-2