SAN DIEGO, Calif.— The Villanova Men’s Tennis team began spring break competition on Thursday morning as they faced No. 18 UC San Diego. The Wildcats dropped the match, 6-1.
In the No.5 spot, Tommy Mulflur was the lone Wildcat to win their singles match for Villanova. Mulflur defeated his opponent, 6-2. Dylan Flannagan (6-1,3-6,6-3) and Tommy Dodson (6-0,4-6, 6-3) both took their opponents to a third set.
Doubles competition began with Will Elmore and Stefan Suarez who competed in the No. 1 spot. They were able to top their opponent 6-2. Dodson and Tyler Roth had a tough fought match but would eventually lose their match 7-6.
The Wildcats will continue to compete in the Pacific Coast Doubles in La Jolla, Calif., Mar. 2 through Mar.4. Also, on Mar. 4 they will face Boise State beginning at 4 p.m. ET.
No. 18 UC San Diego 6, Villanova 1
- #21 Eric Tseng (UCSD) def. Stefan Suarez (VU) 6-3, 6-2
- #39 Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Tyler Roth (VU) 6-4, 6-3
- Marc Isaia (UCSD) def. Dylan Flanagan (VU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
- Eskil Jarlskog (UCSD) def. Thomas Dodson (VU) 6-0, 4-6, 6-3
- Tommy Mulflur (VU) def. Richard Han (UCSD) 6-0, 6-4
- Neil Tengbumroong (UCSD) def. Alastair Hurry (VU) 7-5, 6-2
- Will Elmore/Stefan Suarez (VU) def. Eskil Jarlskog/Sreeganesh Manoharan (UCSD) 6-2
- Eric Tseng/Justin Zhang (UCSD) def. Thomas Dodson/Tyler Roth (VU) 7-6 (7-4)
- Marc Isaia/Neil Tengbumroong (UCSD) def. Mike Czlonka/Tommy Mulflur (VU) 6-3
UC San Diego 3-2; National ranking #18; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,1,2,6,4,3)