Feb. 25, 2013
WILMINGTON, Del. - The doubles point proved to be the decisive factor in the match as Villanova (0-3) was narrowly defeated, 4-3, by Delaware (2-2) at DuPont Country Club on Sunday afternoon. The teams split the six singles matches but the Blue Hens scored wins at each of the top two doubles spots to claim the doubles point and eventually the match victory.
In singles action the Wildcats won the lower half of the draw with wins at the No. 4-6 spots. Sophomore Tim Abbracciamento (Robbinsville, N.J.) improved to 3-0 in dual matches this season with a win in straight sets in the No. 5 singles match, where he scored a 6-2, 6-4 win over Evan Andrews.
Freshman Max Levine (Lubbock, Texas) and junior Matt Colonnese (Marietta, Ga.) each went to three sets for wins at the No. 4 and No. 6 spots, respectively. Levine rallied to defeat Mike Furr at No. 4 singles (3-6, 6-1, 6-3) and Colonnese held off Jason Derene at the No. 6 spot (6-2, 3-6, 6-4).
In doubles play the pair of junior Ryan Peyton (Newport Beach, Calif.) and freshman Chris Seitz (Pennington, N.J.) came away with an 8-3 win over Derene and Furr in the No. 3 match. Delaware won at the No. 2 spot by an 8-3 score and the doubles point came down to a closely-contested match at the top spot. Junior Thomas O'Brien (Guilford, Conn.) and sophomore Kelly Donaldson (Broomfield, Colo.) lost a 9-7 decision to Troy Beneck and Adam Lawton.
Beginning this weekend the Wildcats will spend a week in California during Spring Break. Members of the team will compete at the Pacific Coast Doubles Championship this coming weekend (Mar. 1-3), while the first two team matches on the schedule are against Point Loma Nazarene on Saturday and UC Davis on Sunday.
DELAWARE 4, VILLANOVA 3
February 24, 2013
DuPont Country Club (Wilmington, Del.)
1. Troy Beneck/Adam Lawton (Delaware) defeated Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (Villanova), 9-7
2. Nolan Gelman/Evan Andrews (Delaware) defeated Tim Abbracciamento/Michael Rosengren (Villanova), 8-3
3. Ryan Peyton/Chris Seitz (Villanova) defeated Jason Derene/Mike Furr (Delaware), 8-3
1. Troy Beneck (Delaware) defeated Thomas O'Brien (Villanova) 6-1, 7-5
2. Adam Lawton (Delaware) defeated Chris Seitz (Villanova) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Nolan Gelman (Delaware) defeated Mark Miller (Villanova) 6-2, 6-4
4. Max Levine (Villanova) defeated Mike Furr (Delaware) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Tim Abbracciamento (Villanova) defeated Evan Andrews (Delaware) 6-2, 6-4
6. Matt Colonnese (Villanova) defeated Jason Derene (Delaware) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4