Feb. 24, 2013
BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Sophomore Tim Abbracciamento (Robbinsville, N.J.) won his second straight dual match but Villanova (0-2) lost by a final count of 6-1 to Lehigh (7-1) at the Lewis Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon. In addition to the win by Abbracciamento the Wildcats also registered a win at No. 1 doubles with the tandem of junior Thomas O'Brien (Guilford, Conn.) and sophomore Kelly Donaldson (Broomfield, Colo.).
Abbracciamento swept Jeremy Kochman in straight sets at the No. 6 singles spot and won the match by set scores of 6-2 and 6-1. Nearly all of the matches in singles play were close ones and the total number of games won was a respectable count of 68-46 in the Mountains Hawks favor.
The same was true in doubles play, where Lehigh won two of three matches to claim the doubles point, though the Mountain Hawks edge in games won (21-17) was a modest one. O'Brien and Donaldson scored an 8-5 win at the first doubles spot.
Elsewhere in singles play, freshman Chris Seitz (Pennington, N.J.) extended his match at No. 2 singles to three sets before falling 7-5, 2-6, 6-0 to Mark Goldberg. At the No. 1 singles spot O'Brien lost a close contest to Ben Gilman by a count of 7-6 (2), 7-5.
Villanova returns to action on Sunday afternoon for a 4 p.m. match at Delaware.
LEHIGH 6, VILLANOVA 1
February 23, 2013
Lewis Tennis Center (Bethlehem, Pa.)
1. Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (Villanova) defeated Mark Goldberg/Mitchell Petersen (Lehigh), 8-5
2. Matt Savran/Jeremy Kochman (Lehigh) defeated Tim Abbracciamento/Michael Rosengren (Villanova), 8-5
3. Ben Gilman/Andrew Krentz (Lehigh) defeated Ryan Peyton/Chris Seitz (Villanova), 8-4
1. Ben Gilman (Lehigh) defeated Thomas O'Brien (Villanova) 7-6 (2), 7-5
2. Mark Goldberg (Lehigh) defeated Chris Seitz (Villanova) 7-5, 2-6, 6-0
3. Mitchell Petersen (Lehigh) defeated Max Levine (Villanova) 6-2, 6-1
4. Matt Savran (Lehigh) defeated Ryan Peyton (Villanova) 6-2, 6-0
5. Andrew Krentz (Lehigh) defeated Michael Rosengren (Villanova) 6-3, 6-4
6. Tim Abbracciamento (Villanova) defeated Jeremy Kochman (Lehigh) 6-2, 6-1