Skip to main content Skip to footer
Second Half Surge Lifts Wildcats Past Marist 3-0
Adetomiwa Adewole

Sep 7, 2013

Final Stats

VILLANOVA, Pa. - The Villanova Wildcats got their offense going early in the second half and rolled to a 3-0 victory over Marist in a non-conference soccer match played here today. The win evened VU's ledger at 1-1-1 while the Red Foxes dropped their third straight contest.

Junior Andrew Weakly recorded his first career shutout in net for the Wildcats, making five saves on the afternoon.

The Wildcats generated 10 shots in the first half but did not get the kind of pressure on goal that head coach Tom Carlin and his staff sought. The contest was scoreless at the end of 45 minutes.

"We had a lot of turnovers in the first half," stated Carlin. "We didn't win enough 50-50 balls and didn't do a good job of connecting in the midfield. It created problems for us because we weren't able to create the kind of scoring chances we needed. We really challenged the guys at halftime."

Senior Adetomiwa Adewole, who had been inserted in the game as a reserve late in the first half, was in the starting lineup to begin the second period and his effort helped changed the tempo of the contest.

"Tomi was the player of the game in our minds," stated Carlin. "As a senior, he went out and really set a great tone for us."

"Tomi jumped in there at the top and pounced on them," added junior back Colton Bryant.

The Wildcats put immediate pressure on Red Foxes goalkeeper Anthony Sokalski and in 57 seconds had the game's first goal. Sophomore Sean Sheridan found Bryant with a cross and the Georgia native headed the ball into the right side of the net to stake VU to the lead.



Villanova kept the heat on and broke through again at 48:48. After a Marist foul, the Wildcats were awarded a free kick and Sheridan's boot found a leaping Adewole. He calmly headed the ball into the net for his first career goal.

Marist came right back and Weakly had to be sharp to stop a bid by Tudor Brata to cut the margin in half.

The Wildcats later took advantage as Marist tried to press forward. Sophomore Chris Hill fed junior Hayden Harr as the Wildcats broke out with only two Red Foxes defenders back. Harr converted and VU held a 3-0 goal edge.

Villanova ended the afternoon with a 22-16 advantage in shots. Each team produced seven corner kicks. Eight Wildcats had a shot on goal.

Next up for VU is a visit to Monmouth on Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m.