May 2, 2013
Box Score |
- Villanova held Georgetown scoreless for a span of 21:36 from the 6:09 mark of the first quarter until the opening minute of the third quarter. This is the longest shutout streak on defense of the season for the Wildcats.
- During the shutout streak Villanova scored five unanswered goals, which matches its largest run of the season. The Wildcats also had a 5-0 run in their final regular season game against Providence.
- During the regular season Villanova had a minus-11 scoring margin in the second quarter (26-37) but tonight the Wildcats outscored the Hoyas by a 4-0 margin in the second period.
- Villanova went 2-for-3 on extra-man opportunities in tonight's game. The Wildcats have scored two or more man-up goals in four of their seven wins this season. Senior attack Jack Rice scored his seventh man-up goal of the season to tie for the team lead in that category.
- Villanova midfielders Max Hart and Kevin O'Neil have scored a combined 33 goals this season and 19 of them have either tied the game or given the Wildcats the lead. In the first quarter tonight each player scored a game-tying goal.
- Jack Rice scored a team-high five goals and now has 126 career goals. He moves into second place in school history with that total and is only two goals behind all-time leader Chris Sullivan (1988-91), who scored 128 career goals.
- This is the third straight game that Jack Rice has scored four or more goals, and his five goals tonight tied a season high. Rice also scored five goals in an 11-9 win over Rutgers on April 6. He is the only player on the team with more than four goals in a game this season.
- Tonight also marked the seventh time this season and the 20th time in his career that Jack Rice recorded a hat trick.
- No. 1 seed Villanova and No. 2 seed Syracuse will play in the BIG EAST Championship final on Saturday afternoon. This is the second straight year that the teams will meet in the conference tournament. Last season the Orange defeated the Wildcats in a semifinal contest.