Villanova/Kansas Post-Game Notes
Nov. 29, 2013
- Villanova posted a 63-59 victory and No. 2 Kansas is the highest ranked opponent the Wildcats have defeated since a win over No. 1 Connecticut on February 13, 2006 (69-64). Dating back to the middle of last season Villanova has won four of its last five games against top-five opponents.
- The victory tonight was the Wildcats 10th all-time against a team ranked in the top two of the Associated Press Top 25. Villanova has five wins apiece against No. 1 and No. 2 ranked opponents and an overall record of 10-29 all-time against top-two teams.
- The last time the Wildcats defeated a team ranked No. 2 was also against Kansas. It came on January 22, 2005 when Villanova posted an 83-62 victory at the Wells Fargo Center.
- Villanova has been unranked in all five of its victories against No. 2 ranked opponents.
- Tonight's game was the first of the season against a nationally-ranked opponent for the Wildcats. Last season Villanova had a 4-3 record against ranked teams, including wins over No. 3 Syracuse, No. 5 Louisville, No. 5 Georgetown and No. 17 Marquette. Villanova was unranked at the time of each of those four victories.
Villanova success against teams ranked 1-5 in Associated Press poll:
- All-time record of 37-67 (.356)
- As an un-ranked team Villanova is 25-40 (.385) against top-five opposition
- Head coach Jay Wright is 12-12 as Wildcats head coach against top five teams
- Villanova had not defeated a ranked team away from home since an 83-72 win over No. 3 Syracuse on January 22, 2011. The last time the Wildcats were unranked and beat a ranked team away from home was on March 22, 2008 when Villanova defeated No. 22 Clemson (75-69) in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at a neutral site in Tampa, Fla.
- Tonight's final score of 63-59 marked the fewest points the Wildcats have scored in a win over a top 10 team since a 60-59 overtime victory over No. 7 Boston College on March 24, 2006 in a regional semifinal game of the NCAA Tournament.
- Tonight's game is the first ever for Villanova against a ranked opponent outside the United States. The second such game will come tomorrow evening when the Wildcats take on No. 23 Iowa in the championship game of the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament.
- With tonight's victory the Wildcats are 2-3 (.400) all-time against Kansas, with four of the five meetings taking place in the past 10 years.
- Villanova is 6-0 for the first time since the 2009-10 team began the year with a 9-0 record.
- After taking a 57-46 lead on a Josh Hart three-pointer with 7:19 remaining, the Wildcats overcame scoring just one point on their next 12 possessions. In a stretch of just over seven minutes Villanova went 0-for-7 from the field, 1-for-4 on two trips to the foul line and committed three turnovers. During that stretch Kansas went on a 13-1 run over 6:29 to take a 59-58 lead with 35 seconds remaining.
- The offensive drought by the Wildcats was snapped when Ryan Arcidiacono hit a go-ahead three-pointer with 11 seconds left. It was his only basket of the night and was reminiscent of a game-tying three-pointer he hit against No. 3 Syracuse in the final second of regulation in an eventual overtime victory at the Wells Fargo Center last season.
- Villanova faces No. 23 Iowa (7-0) on Saturday night in the championship game of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament. The teams last met on November 20, 2006 when the Wildcats tallied an 89-60 win over the Hawkeyes at the Paradise Jam tournament in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Villanova is 3-1 all-time versus Iowa.