Skip to main content Skip to footer
Villanova Edged by Rival Georgetown, 66-64

Jan. 15, 2005

Final Stats

AP Sports Writer

VILLANOVA, Pa. (AP) - Twenty years later, Georgetown was on the right end of a 66-64 game against Villanova.

Darrel Owens sank the winning free-throws with 0.1 second left to give the Hoyas a thrilling 66-64 win over Villanova on Saturday, the same day the Wildcats honored their 1985 title team.

In that epic game, it was the Wildcats who came up with the 66-64 win over the Hoyas on April 1, 1985, in Lexington, Ky.

This one added another memorable moment to the rivalry.

After erasing a 13-point first-half deficit, Georgetown clung to a two-point lead until Wil Sheridan tied it with a dunk in the final seconds, seemingly sending the game into overtime. Owens, though, went for a fastbreak layup, but was fouled by Curtis Sumpter as the sold-out crowd erupted.

Villanova coach Jay Wright argued that Georgetown was on the court when it attempted its inbounds pass, but the argument went nowhere.

Jeff Green scored 16 points and grabbed 12 rebounds for the Hoyas (11-4, 3-1 Big East), Brandon Bowman scored 11 points and Ashanti Cook added 10.

Allan Raye led Villanova (9-3, 2-2) with 17 points and Sumpter had 14 after missing two games with a sprained right ankle.

The win spoiled Villanova's celebration for its 1985 national championship team. The school retired a jersey for former coach Rollie Massimino and honored the rest of the last Philly-area pro or college team to win a championship.

"Don't ever forget this is a wonderful place to be," Massimino told the crowd.

Then Massimino, who coached the Wildcats from 1973-1992, riled up the faithful, telling them "Villanova and Jay Wright and his crew are going to win it again!"

Georgetown took its first lead since early in the first half after a couple of Reed free throws made it 57-56. Villanova tied the score twice in the final minutes, but never took the lead. Twice, the Hoyas made crucial turnovers in the final minutes - they had 15 overall - but the Wildcats were unable to score off them.



Georgetown played its first career game at the Pavilion and first game on Villanova's campus since March 6, 1950.

The Wildcats played without Jason Fraser, who had surgery on his broken right hand Friday and could miss three to six weeks.